Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Free diving with your dslr tig

Started by Damo ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Free diving with your dslr tig

6 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    Just to ask- is it generally ok to do this or do you run any additional risks of flooding?

    I mean- do folks here on this part of the forum do this-just as a matter of interest.

     

    Tanx

  2. I have used my rigs for photographing while freediving to 10m-12m repeatedly during a days diving for some years. My rigs have included Nikonos V systems as well as Sea & Sea and Subal housings. I have never had a problem, just be aware that most flooding happens between the surface and 5m. I try and make a habit of inspecting the housing carefully during the first few dives. The freediving forum http://forums.deeperblue.com/freedive-photography/ has a small section on photography it might be worth you posting your question there as well.

  3. Never had any problems, even when photographing surfers in their way too big waves (I was in a waching machine protecting my housing with my arms and taking photos between two waves).

    went down to -30m pretty fast freediving with housing, coming back fast too, no problems.

     

    be sure your strobe's arms are well attached, or they could move with the current you create by moving fast underwater ^_^

     

    and have fun, freediving photography is awesome, especially with big animals, but did a lof of macro too.

  4. thanks so much guys- as always ^_^

  5. It really depends on the housing!

     

    But i freedive with an ikelite housing and have had one flood related to entry. (e.g jumping in from a pier, whichcaused the dome port seal to leak).

     

    This could happen on scuba too, so you just have to be careful on entry. I dont have any concerns when i have a flat port on, but using a dome port you have leverage issues, so just keep it in mind on entry and knocking against rocks and waves etc close to the surface where there is little water pressure.

  6. I have been freediving exclusively for about 9 years and have used several P&S systems as well as the Canon 20D and never really had any issues with flooding due to freediving.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.