Hi all i am considering the jump over to a SLR after i flooded my g10 whilst diving in the Micronesia. I was very happy with the g10 but because i would have to buy the g11 that means new housing as well so I thought I should take the leap to the next step. My question is that I have two ys27dx strobes that i was firing optically and would love to keep using them. if it is not going to work with the canon rebel 500d and Ikelite housing then i don't think i could afford to go down the SLR road. I don't care about ttl because i have always shot in fully manual mode on my camera and on the strobes and never had a problem. Any advise would be great.
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
500d and opticly fired strobes
-
-
Hi all i am considering the jump over to a SLR after i flooded my g10 whilst diving in the Micronesia. I was very happy with the g10 but because i would have to buy the g11 that means new housing as well so I thought I should take the leap to the next step. My question is that I have two ys27dx strobes that i was firing optically and would love to keep using them. if it is not going to work with the canon rebel 500d and Ikelite housing then i don't think i could afford to go down the SLR road. I don't care about ttl because i have always shot in fully manual mode on my camera and on the strobes and never had a problem. Any advise would be great.
You could go down the Sea and Sea RDX route which is very near the price of the Ikelite and it does both optical and electrical sync.
Bill
-
You could go down the Sea and Sea RDX route which is very near the price of the Ikelite and it does both optical and electrical sync.
Bill
That housing looks really nice and you are right the price difference isn't that much. I have another question whit ch i hope you can help me out with regarding lenses i don't know anything about slr lenses and was wondering what would be a good macro lens and also a wide angle lens also what ports should i be looking at. the camera comes with a 55-250mm IS Lens and a 18-55mm IS are these ok.
-
That housing looks really nice and you are right the price difference isn't that much. I have another question whit ch i hope you can help me out with regarding lenses i don't know anything about slr lenses and was wondering what would be a good macro lens and also a wide angle lens also what ports should i be looking at. the camera comes with a 55-250mm IS Lens and a 18-55mm IS are these ok.
You should buy the Canon 60mm macro lens for good macro and super-macro shots and think about the Tokina 10-17 fish-eye zoom as your primary wide-angle lens .... You will need a flat port for the macro lens and a dome for the Tokina 10-17 as well as a zoom gear to operate it. Your strobes should be OK for macro and close-up work but they could prove inadequate for wide-angle lighting which requires considerable more power.
The 18-55 could be used as a "general lens" to dive with when you are unsure about the marine enviroment you will find .... Good lens to take fish portraits; again you will need a zoom gear to operate it. I doubt the 55-250 will have any use under water as it hasn't any real macro capability. If you can take the camera just with the 18-55, which proves to be a good all-rounder lens on land as well.
I have a Canon EOS 450D and I am very happy with it. My housing ia a Hugyfot as a rely much more on metal housing rather than policarbonate. I have the Canon 60mm macro lens and I am very happy with it and I'm going to but the Tokina 10-17 as my primary wa lens.
Hope this helps !!!
All the Best ..... Francesco
-
You should buy the Canon 60mm macro lens for good macro and super-macro shots and think about the Tokina 10-17 fish-eye zoom as your primary wide-angle lens .... You will need a flat port for the macro lens and a dome for the Tokina 10-17 as well as a zoom gear to operate it. Your strobes should be OK for macro and close-up work but they could prove inadequate for wide-angle lighting which requires considerable more power.
The 18-55 could be used as a "general lens" to dive with when you are unsure about the marine enviroment you will find .... Good lens to take fish portraits; again you will need a zoom gear to operate it. I doubt the 55-250 will have any use under water as it hasn't any real macro capability. If you can take the camera just with the 18-55, which proves to be a good all-rounder lens on land as well.
I have a Canon EOS 450D and I am very happy with it. My housing ia a Hugyfot as a rely much more on metal housing rather than policarbonate. I have the Canon 60mm macro lens and I am very happy with it and I'm going to but the Tokina 10-17 as my primary wa lens.
Hope this helps !!!
All the Best ..... Francesco
thanks for the help this helps alot.
-
That housing looks really nice and you are right the price difference isn't that much. I have another question whit ch i hope you can help me out with regarding lenses i don't know anything about slr lenses and was wondering what would be a good macro lens and also a wide angle lens also what ports should i be looking at. the camera comes with a 55-250mm IS Lens and a 18-55mm IS are these ok.
I am with Francesco. Get the camera with the 18-55 and skip the other lens if you can, unless you are going to shoot birds or such. Get the 60 mm macro lens (the standard port works fine for that) and the Tokina 10-17. You will need a dome port for that lens and the dome you want will depend on whether or not you are into the close up wide angle stuff or just reef scenics.
Bill
-
I am with Francesco. Get the camera with the 18-55 and skip the other lens if you can, unless you are going to shoot birds or such. Get the 60 mm macro lens (the standard port works fine for that) and the Tokina 10-17. You will need a dome port for that lens and the dome you want will depend on whether or not you are into the close up wide angle stuff or just reef scenics.
Bill
does the sea and sea housing come with a port? the only wide angle i have taken was with the big eye wet lens on the g10 it worked pretty well but was difficult not to get lens flair also i don't think it was a true wide angle. so as for dome ports i am not to sure on I think I would mainly shoot reef scenes,sharks/etc
-
Sea and sea like like all SLR case makers sell the ports seperately from the bodies. To see what they recomend for each lens/body go the their web site and look for the system charts link. I liked the pictures I took with the Tonika 10-17 much better than the one I got with Canon's 18-55.
John
-
I've got the Patima housing for 450d which fits my 500d and I trigger with optical cable. It's very good and I'll be selling it shortly when the Nauticam 7D housing comes out.
-
Hi,
I sent you a PM on a system I have for sale that you might be interested in. It'[s also listed in the for sale area.