Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Wide Angle Soft Corners - Help With Solution?

Started by TropicalSnorkeler ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide Angle Soft Corners - Help With Solution?

3 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    With my last camera (I sold it) I had a Fuji F100fd and fuji housing.

     

    The problem was I had pretty soft corners in the pictures. But the camera had sharp corners above water.

     

    I learned that it is the problem of shooting a wide angle lens through a flat port. I ended up selling the camera because of this problem (before Fantasea came out with their BigEye Lens FXF100 that probably would have solved the problem).

     

    So I am looking to get a new camera, and I want it to be fairly wide angle, and sharp in the corners.

     

    But, I am a snorkeler, and don't tend to get as close to things as divers do, so I don't want a fish eye, or a really wide angle lens. I would like it to have a true underwater perspective between 28mm and 35mm. I actually liked the perspective I was getting with the F100fd, which was probably about 35mm underwater with the 28mm lens in the flat port.

     

    So here are my questions.

     

    1. Can I get sharp corners on a 28mm P&S in a flat port (for example the Canon S90 in the Canon housing), by just stopping down the lens a bit? That was another reason I sold the F100fd. No manual controls. I also use a magic filter and available light, so I can't stop down too much.

     

    2. What is the better way to go, if that above will not work. A point and shoot that is about 35mm with the new BigEye Lens, that should give me about the same perspective underwater as 35mm.

     

    3. Or instead, get a camera with a wide angle lens (like the Canon S90), and add a wide angle wet lens by Inon, etc.

     

    My goal is to have a wide angle perspective underwater of about 28-35mm, with sharp corners, while not getting too big of a camera setup.

     

    Ideally I would like to do this with a camera like the S90 because I really value the 28mm wide angle lens on land (not to mention all the other desirable features on the camera).

     

    Thank you very much for your experience and help with my questions.

     

    Galen

  2. Hi Galen,

    Checkout the brand new FIX housing for the S90. Easy search on Backscatter, Reef photo and the other shops. One of your problems though is that you're still going to have to get really close to take the kind of pictures I hear you talking about. The more water you shoot through the less color and sharpness you are going to be able to get.

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  3. 3. Or instead, get a camera with a wide angle lens (like the Canon S90), and add a wide angle wet lens by Inon, etc.

     

    Galen

     

    This is your only real answer.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.