Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Can you ID these fish for me?

Started by NPSParkRanger ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Can you ID these fish for me?

7 posts
  1. Can you help me? I took this photo a couple of weeks ago at the Tumbled Rocks site at Boynton Beach Fl. I know that one fish is a Barred Hamlet, but I do not know what the smaller fish are. One maybe a Redband parrotfish? I would appreciate any help!!!

     

    Thanks

     

    Bill

    post-6355-1263412379.jpg

  2. Moving to the appropriate forum.

  3. A 10 second answer is that the blue/yellow fish are wrasse and the brown/white fish is a juvenile parrotfish. I can try to get species names tomorrow.

     

    cheers!

     

    - MDP

  4. Although parrotfish can be tricky - I think this is a juvenile redtail parrotfish Sparisoma chrysopterum

    redtail parrotfish at FishBase

     

    The wrasses appear to be a juvenile phase of the Yellowhead wrasse Halichoeres gamoti which is common in FL.

    Hope that helps...

     

    cheers!

     

    - MDP

  5. Thanks guys! I like to ID my fish in my photos and for the life of me could not figure them out!

     

    Thanks!

     

    Bill

  6. The juvenile parrotfish is a redband parrotfish (Sparisoma aurofrenatum), the black blotch on its side behind the gill cover is very characteristic (see p203 of Reef Fish Identification). The other two are indeed yellowhead wrasse. The one with the white line is a juvenile, the other an initial phase.

     

    Bart

  7. Most excellent.... Thanks!

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.