Hi everyone,
I'm still using the good old Nikonos V with the original 15 and 28 mm Nikonos lenses so far, also used to have a Minolta SLR with 100mm Macro in a Hugy housing and a Subtronic strobe. I had the Nik V mounted on top of the SLR housing and both were connected to the Subtronic so I could shoot high quality wide angle and macro in the same dive. I did this for almost 20 years, until in 2006, the strobe and the Minolta gave up.
Since then I'm using only the Nikonos V with a SB-105. I'm missing a good macro setup though. I do have the Nikonos V close up kit and use it occasionally, but it can't replace the SLR with 100mm macro.
Now I want to switch to digital. Because (D)SLR housings are so big and bulky, and also because of the prices (not only for the initial purchase but also for the airfares to my favorite dive grounds) I'd prefer to use one of the better compacts. Ideally one that allows (fairly) wide angle and macro in one camera, to avoid a bulky 2 camera setup as I used to have.
The question is, will I get pictures from those compacts anywhere near the quality I'm used to from my analog equipment?
When I zoom to the wide end, will pictures still be fully sharp, even in the corners? Nikonos lenses do a phantastic job in this regard...
Compacts have their best macro capabilities at the wide end, which scale can I expect at the more practical long end, under water? How much will screw on macro lenses deteriorate quality, and how much closer can I go with them? (I think there aren't too many different ones to choose from, right?) When I think about it, I hate the idea of screwing on a macro lens to take a close up then remove it in the next moment to shoot a passing tuna or manta ray. Is there any way to overcome this?
What do you think? Do I expect too much if I believe to get the quality I'm used to from my Nikonos and SLR?
Which compact would you suggest? I know these 3 are all very good on land, question is how good are they under water, and how practical in use?
I did read many of the posts here, including the pinned ones, but the one on quality is close to 5 years old which can hardly reflect today's compact's quality and performance.
Any advice, hints, recommendations etc. are more than welcome. Tell me straight if you think I'm asking too much.
Thank you all!