Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New thin, lightweight, super flexible hoses

Started by Undertow ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

New thin, lightweight, super flexible hoses

20 posts
  1. I saw these in a dive shop in florida when i was there a couple weeks ago. Just looked at the HP hose, and it was very thin (will turn some heads on the dive boat), lightweight and flexible. Looks like the LP hoses are thicker, which i'd hope for good airflow. Apparently introduced at this past DEMA. Very tempting, though i usually avoid brand new technology until its been proven.

    http://www.xsscuba.com/hose_miflex_hoses.html

     

    Cheers,

     

    Chris

  2. I saw these in a dive shop in florida when i was there a couple weeks ago. Just looked at the HP hose, and it was very thin (will turn some heads on the dive boat), lightweight and flexible. Looks like the LP hoses are thicker, which i'd hope for good airflow. Apparently introduced at this past DEMA. Very tempting, though i usually avoid brand new technology until its been proven.

    http://www.xsscuba.com/hose_miflex_hoses.html

    Miflex low pressure hoses have been around for many years, overseas. They were first imported to the US a couple years ago... I was one of the first to use and report on them. I like them quite a bit.

     

    The HP hoses, however, are very newly developed and have been having some issues. I'm staying away from them until things prove more reliable.

  3. ahh i see, maybe the dive shop owner was trying to work me saying they were brand new and just introduced at DEMA this year. or maybe that was just the HP ones. Can I ask what the issues with the HP hoses are?

     

    Maybe i'll spit out for some LP ones now then. I do dive a 5 foot primary 2nd stage hose, any word on how they perform/sit differently when wrapped under arm and around the head? Cheers,

     

    Chris

  4. ahh i see, maybe the dive shop owner was trying to work me saying they were brand new and just introduced at DEMA this year. or maybe that was just the HP ones. Can I ask what the issues with the HP hoses are?

     

    Maybe i'll spit out for some LP ones now then. I do dive a 5 foot primary 2nd stage hose, any word on how they perform/sit differently when wrapped under arm and around the head? Cheers,

     

    Chris

    Yes, the HP ones are new as of 2009.

     

    There are many reports of the HP hoses blowing off, you can read many on DecoStop and ScubaBoard. Issues with the crimping. Maybe a bad batch, but there have been enough that I, personally, am staying away.

     

    I suspect you'd love it. I really like mine (7' primary, necklaced secondary, LP inflator and drysuit). The only issue I have with mine is it's a bit slippery so my canister light sometimes doesn't hold it as securely as the rubber ones, but that's not an issue with the 5' hose routing.

  5. Hi all,

     

    The LP hoses have been around here in the UK for a while now, and are very light and seem durable. The only drawback is that they float-which with a long hose can be a real pain. I use the miflex's for all the inflator/backup hoses, but stick to a rubber one for my primary/long hose to avoid this.

     

    The HP hoses do seem to have had a few problems-for photography I'm hoseless (air integrated wireless computer!) anyway!

     

    Adam

  6. Hi all,

     

    The LP hoses have been around here in the UK for a while now, and are very light and seem durable. The only drawback is that they float-which with a long hose can be a real pain. I use the miflex's for all the inflator/backup hoses, but stick to a rubber one for my primary/long hose to avoid this.

     

    The HP hoses do seem to have had a few problems-for photography I'm hoseless (air integrated wireless computer!) anyway!

     

    Adam

    I don't see any pain, myself. With a 7' hose, it's held under the light canister. Can't really float up. With the 5' hose it's held under your arm. What's to float?

  7. Hi,

     

    I don't always dive with a canister!

     

    If you just tuck the end into your harness, it will come out, and the whole lot then floats up. I don't use a 5 foot hose-I use a long hose to facilitate easy gas sharing, and to allow me to exit an overhead with an out of gas diver in front of me-5 foot doesn't let me do either of these!

     

    Just my thoughts....

     

    Adam

  8. I dive a 5ft with a short bungied for my backup. Have all miflex and a HP miflex as well. No problems whatsoever and I love them so far. Very light, very flexible. They have a weird memory to being curled up, but once they are on my rig it doesn't affect them at all.

     

    I have a separate, less hoses, rig with a regular bc, integrated air backup and a wireless air/comp, but love the backplate with all the hoses more so even take that for travel - people on the tropical trips do look at the rig odd!

    Edited by bkkchriss4
  9. Hi,

     

    I don't always dive with a canister!

     

    If you just tuck the end into your harness, it will come out, and the whole lot then floats up. I don't use a 5 foot hose-I use a long hose to facilitate easy gas sharing, and to allow me to exit an overhead with an out of gas diver in front of me-5 foot doesn't let me do either of these!

     

    Just my thoughts....

    The few dives I've dove without my canister, I've tucked the 7' hose into my waist strap, where it stayed... same as being tucked under the canister.

     

    I use a long hose for the same reason... I guess I haven't had the difficulties you have had keeping the hose where it belongs. *shrug*

  10. I use the miflex for about 4 years on my simple rig (just spg and 2nd stage) and about 4 mths with the new hp hose. It's really light and flexible. I've only used the LP for about 200 dives and the hp about 50 dives, with no issues yet. Shortened all my hoses by a few inches as well due to the flexibility. Less drag as well.

    I do remember a story that the HP blowouts were due to a bad batch but I can't remember who I heard that from. Best to check with the manufacturer for verification.

    Edited by Drew
  11. Glad I saw this... we just bought ours beginning of this year so they're likely in the recall batch. Survived nearly 30 dives, but not taking any chances. Thanks for the link.

  12. Thanks for that Drew. Had heard rumours of people having issues, but never someone in person. Will have to change mine out as they not really worth the weight saving.

     

    E

  13. The recall is just for the High pressure hoses, the pencil thin one.

  14. Yeah, that's what I got. We switched out of heavier-weight hoses and a 'swivel' fitting to a 2-port console (one for the gauge, one for a puck computer and compass on the back) since we've both switched to wrist computers. So I got the thin hoses and a couple of small Aeris pressure gauges (computers aren't air-integrated, we don't dive often enough to justify the cost and battery issues). Fortunately I did keep one of the consoles just with an empty boot hole, so if I can't get my hoses replaced b/f my mine trip beginning of June I do have a standard-hosed SPG.

  15. Think I read that the HP hoses being recalled were made prior to 2009...but better checking with them to find out for sure!

  16. Drew linked the webpage direct from XS. Says sold "after May 2009". PDF itself says its for those "manufactured between May 2009 and December 2011".

     

    I probably bought early Jan 2012 (still looking for receipt, although PDF says isn't required) since the dive trip I was reconfiguring for was late Jan into Feb, so high odds mine falls in that range.

  17. Drew linked the webpage direct from XS. Says sold "after May 2009". PDF itself says its for those "manufactured between May 2009 and December 2011".

     

    I probably bought early Jan 2012 (still looking for receipt, although PDF says isn't required) since the dive trip I was reconfiguring for was late Jan into Feb, so high odds mine falls in that range.

     

    Guess that means I need to send mine in.... I bought it from them at DEMA 2010!

    Edited by seafan
  18. I bought a Miflex HP hose in November 2011 and after approx 50 dives it exploded while i teached a pool - fortunately - class.

    I use Miflex hoses for regulator and Octopus and never had issues but i would NOT recommend those hoses to use as HP hose.

    Chris

  19. Just got my replacement HP hoses. Looks like they're a little bit thicker than they were, and there's clearly a much beefier end. My only real complaint is that I sent them 2-26" and one 32" hoses...and got back 2-24" and one 32" hoses. That 2" is a lot shorter for my SPG, considering my current regulator port locations. I'm hoping my new reg (haven't assembled it yet) makes it more acceptable. (New reg came with the miflex LP hose for the primary, but standard yellow rubber for the octo). I'll be diving with all the above in about 2 weeks (Bonne Terre mine, my first real drysuit experience, whoopie!)

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.