Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best dSLR setup for under AU$3000 (ex strobe)

Started by hollywoodperth ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Best dSLR setup for under AU$3000 (ex strobe)

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone...

     

    I have been shooting u/w with an Olympus prosumer set up for a number of years now, and I think it's time to step up to dSLR.

     

    I already have my strobes sorted so it's just advice on a body/kit lens/housing that I'm chasing.

     

    I was originally looking at the Olympus e620 due to it's size, functionality, decent price, availability of manufacturer housing, LiveView, etc.

     

    But I think the lack of video will haunt me in future years (I'm really after something I don't want to upgrade in say 2-3 years).

     

    So can everyone please chip in some advice.

     

    (for the record the AU$ is close to the US$, but .. yeah something available locally is good).

  2. I already have my strobes sorted
    What sort of strobes do you have? Depending on what you're after the type of strobe may affect housing choice, eg if you have Ikelite strobes and want TTL capability an Ikelite housing may be the best choice for you.
  3. Inon d2000

  4. Whatever you go for the best value is to be had in buying used.

     

    My missus would cry if she realized what I have sold gear for after an 'upgrade'.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  5. Inon d2000
    As that particular strobe can only be fired using fibre optics it limits your options for housings. Although a lot of the newer housings on the market (read more expensive) support fibre optics not a lot of the older housings which you can pick up much cheaper secondhand do.
  6. Have a look at the Canon 500D in a Sea and Sea RDX housing. It might put you slightly over your budget but not by a lot. You'll be able to use your Inons with it too.

     

    PM me if your looking for local distributors.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.