Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best Super Wide Angle for Canon APS-C

Started by scorpio_fish ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Best Super Wide Angle for Canon APS-C

11 posts
  1. It appears that the Tokina 10-17mm for Canon is done. No one in the USA seems to have one. What's the next best for nice distortion free corners? Sorry if this has been asked before.

  2. What's the next best for nice distortion free corners?

     

    I'd say a used Tokina 10-17. Make sure you get the correct lens for your camera. Seriously it's worth digging for. Quite a few hit ebay when land photographers grow tired of the fisheye.

     

    Good luck,

    Steve

  3. All dealers are backordered and no word from Tokina on the next shipment of this lens.

     

    Back to my original question. Next best lens after the 10-17 for corner sharpness?

     

     

     

    I'd say a used Tokina 10-17. Make sure you get the correct lens for your camera. Seriously it's worth digging for. Quite a few hit ebay when land photographers grow tired of the fisheye.

     

    Good luck,

    Steve

  4. All dealers are backordered and no word from Tokina on the next shipment of this lens.

     

    Back to my original question. Next best lens after the 10-17 for corner sharpness?

     

    For corner sharpness behind a dome, the next best thing is a prime 15 or 16mm fisheye. You don't have the zoom feature, but you do have a bright 2.8 aperture. After that Tokina 11-16 or 12-24 with an 8-inch dome, proper port extension ring (40 to 50mm) and maybe a plus 1 to 4 diopter (need to determine through testing if/which one you need), but even then they will not be as sharp in corners as a fisheye type lens below f8 - f11.

     

    For underwater wide angle photography on a DX (APS-C) body, the Tokina 10-17 rules.

  5. It appears that the Tokina 10-17mm for Canon is done. No one in the USA seems to have one. What's the next best for nice distortion free corners? Sorry if this has been asked before.

     

    I like the Sigma 10-20 for not as wide rectilinear moments. It behaves pretty good behind a dome and for some reason, it produces sharp corners. It probably has to do with its CFD which is a little better than the comparable 12-24:s. I also suspect (speculation) that it has more barrel distortion than the Nikon and Tokina 12-24:s, which makes it suitable for putting behind dome ports, but rejected by many land photographers.

     

    But you really need to get yourself a Tokina Fisheye. Have you tried to order one from outside U.S. and import it yourself? Are you allowed to do that?

     

    good luck

  6. But you really need to get yourself a Tokina Fisheye. Have you tried to order one from outside U.S. and import it yourself? Are you allowed to do that?

     

    good luck

     

     

    Just had a quick look and found this on ebay. Says they have 10 available but doesn't specify canon or nikon mount....Also from Malaysia...

    tokina lens ebay

     

     

    Rgds

     

    Duncan

  7. Just had a quick look and found this on ebay. Says they have 10 available but doesn't specify canon or nikon mount....Also from Malaysia...

    tokina lens ebay

     

     

    Rgds

     

    Duncan

    It appears from the description that they have some of each. I tried Tokina (THK) but have heard nothing. Perhaps they have a new lens ready for PMA.

    Bill

  8. Just had a quick look and found this on ebay. Says they have 10 available but doesn't specify canon or nikon mount....Also from Malaysia...

    tokina lens ebay

     

     

    Rgds

     

    Duncan

     

    I'm nervous about that one. The Nikon versions are in stock everywhere. I have the Nikon version and I pretty much only shoot wide angle with the 10-17mm because of previous frustration with corner sharpness of available rectilinear lenses. Having the zoom be beneficial as I'm thinking it would be more versatile when I put the 7D in video mode. I haven't followed the discussions of all the newer wide angle zooms.

  9. I'm struggling to find them here at a decent price too (ie less than AU$1k) for Canon mount. Let's hope this lens isnt going to go away (at least not without a decent replacement).

     

    Ryan.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.