Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 16mm fisheye + teleconverter combo

Started by Tim S ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 16mm fisheye + teleconverter combo

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I plan to try out the Nikkor 16mm fisheye + 1.4x teleconverter combo. I know there were a few threads on a similar topic but there are still some points I want to further discuss and clarify...

     

    1. Do you remove the rear filter on the 16mm when using the teleconverter? and why? (and why not?)

     

    2. On a Subal FE port, do you need extra extension ring or not?

     

    Would appreciate input especially from those of you who are using this technique... :)

     

     

    Tim

  2. I do not remove the filter; I think if you remove it, the lens will focus closer but not focus to infinity.

    I use a 20mm extension with the Subal FE port

  3. This setup is fine, the TC will reduce the coverage of the 16mm fisheye. The 16mm is not very suitable for wide angle-macro techniques, though. Because of its lack of close focus. The Sigma 15mm is superior in this regard.

     

    I have always removed the filter when using the Nikon 16mm UW - whether on a TC or not (for the benefit of marginally closer focus. Depth of field will ensure that infinity is in focus.

     

    I use the 18mm extension port - which is the one I also use with the Tokina 10-17mm, when using this combo with the Subal FE port. Note that for wide angle-macro techniques you need a much smaller dome.

     

    This image here was taken with the 16mm FE and 1.5x TC, with Subal FE dome and 18mm ext ring:

    amustard_03.jpg

     

    Alex

  4. Thanks to Loftus & Alex for very useful input... :island:

  5. This setup is fine, the TC will reduce the coverage of the 16mm fisheye. The 16mm is not very suitable for wide angle-macro techniques, though. Because of its lack of close focus. The Sigma 15mm is superior in this regard.

     

    I have always removed the filter when using the Nikon 16mm UW - whether on a TC or not (for the benefit of marginally closer focus. Depth of field will ensure that infinity is in focus.

     

    I use the 18mm extension port - which is the one I also use with the Tokina 10-17mm, when using this combo with the Subal FE port. Note that for wide angle-macro techniques you need a much smaller dome.

     

    This image here was taken with the 16mm FE and 1.5x TC, with Subal FE dome and 18mm ext ring:

    amustard_03.jpg

     

    Alex

     

    Yesterday I experiment with the 16mm behind the FE port and found that without the filter it focuses ~3cm closer than with the filter on. So I probably go without the filter and use f11-13 (or ? even 16) for the DOF.

     

    Alex the above picture is brilliant. Can you share the lighting technique in this shot? Is the FE port in the way?

     

    In case of WA macro shots, how small a dome do one need? Is the Subal SWB good enough? My housing got a Mark 4 mount and I think the old 4" dome is no longer available...

    Edited by Tim S
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.