Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro lens for D90

Started by zaven62 ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro lens for D90

15 posts
  1. I'm trying to put together a kit for my D90, I'm undecided between the Aquatica and Nauticam housings. Does anyone have any recommendations on macro lenses?

    I'm looking at the Nikkor AF-S Micro 60mm f2.8G ED or maybe even it's predecessor the AF-D 60mm (which still has good reviews).

  2. Either will work with the Nauticam. I shoot the older version.

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
  3. I also shoot with the older Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D and I absolutely love it. It is a beautiful lens to use. I have a D300 in an Ikelite housing and I mostly shoot with the 60mm in a dome port (with a +4 diopter attached). This still lets me get to 1:1 but means the angle of view is slightly wider so I can still shoot larger subjects without having to get too far away.

  4. As Jack stated, both will work and they will work in the same port. I would definitely suggest going with the new AF 60mm. The autofocus system is a VERY nice improvement and well worth the cost difference.

  5. i use the 60mm old version in aquatica housing and i find it the best lens if i am not sure what to dive with... it is much quicker than the 105 and better in low light..

     

    my 2 pence..

  6. Another vote for the AF-S 60mm Nikkor. It is a thing of beauty with excellent IQ and Autofocus.

     

    Another improvement is the Internal Focusing(IF), meaning the lens does not extend or rotate when focusing.

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  7. I have the D90 with the AF-S on the Aquatica, the old D lens does not allow Manual focus override while in the housing, I dont know if this is different on the Nauticam tho. Also the AF-S has a more silent motor so the focusing may be less disturbing for the subject? The AF-S is supposed to be quicker at focussing too, I've never using the AF d so I wouldnt know for sure

  8. Thanks for the advice guys, the AF-S seems the way to go.

  9. I have the D90 with the AF-S on the Aquatica, the old D lens does not allow Manual focus override while in the housing

     

    Actually, you can get get the older 60 to switch from AF to MF in an Aquatica, all you need is the focus selector gear 18682, this couples with the housing focus/zoom knob and you use the provided focus knob of the macro port to manually focus whenever you feel or need to. Not sure if or how you can do this with the Nauticam, but in our case its quite simple when using this gear. This being said you should still get the newer AF-S version, it is snappier and easier to manually overide focusing, both version of the lens uses the same port. both housing are good products and I strongly recommend you going to dealers that carries both brands for it will be A) easier for you to make up your mind doing side by side and B) more likely to have a unbiased point of view from single brand dealers, whether or not they carry only Aquatica or only Nauticam.

  10. Has anyone found a teleconverter that would work with the new Nikkor 60mm? I got the Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300DG but it doesn't work with this lens.

  11. Has anyone found a teleconverter that would work with the new Nikkor 60mm? I got the Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300DG but it doesn't work with this lens.

    AF or AF-S? I have the older AF; works fine.

    Bob

  12. The new 60mm AFS version does not work with the Kenko 1.4x, they include paperwork in the 1.4X telling you so. I can get mine to work sometimes with well lit subjects in outdoor, land photos.

    Will not hold focus from the housing.

    Wondering if anyone else has a 1.4x that works with the AFS.

  13. The new 60mm AFS version does not work with the Kenko 1.4x, they include paperwork in the 1.4X telling you so. I can get mine to work sometimes with well lit subjects in outdoor, land photos.

    Will not hold focus from the housing.

    Wondering if anyone else has a 1.4x that works with the AFS.

    Dave,

    I don't think so. I think you should get your 60 AF-S to focus manually. Just for grins, try putting insulation tape on the first 3 pins on the left of the TE (mount facing you).

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  14. I don't like the new 60mm working distance, other than that it is an amazing lens.

    If I started today as you're doing I would look closely on the AFS DX 85mm/3.5G VR.

     

    Good Luck

  15. I don't like the new 60mm working distance, other than that it is an amazing lens.

    If I started today as you're doing I would look closely on the AFS DX 85mm/3.5G VR.

     

    Good Luck

    Yes, the 85 mm macro could be interesting. It is a 1/2 a stop slower, a decent price, 50 mm more working distance at 1:1 (close focus), but I don't know anything about its IQ. Comes to about 128 mm focual lenght in 135 terms.

    Bob

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.