Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Editing Canon 7D mov files

Started by wagsy ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Editing Canon 7D mov files

9 posts
  1. cough cough...

     

    I hate to brag but my two year old overclocked Q6600 PC running XP can play the raw 1920/1080 25p mov files on the EDIUS 5 timeline from my new Canon 7D in realtime.... :island:

    No raid drives just single sata drives.

     

    I read all kind of things folks have to do to be able to edit them on other setups.

     

    To get much better performance though I just have to right click on the file in the bin and convert to the Canopus HQ codec and away I go.

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Hi Wagsy,

     

    Install EDIUS Neo 2 BOOSTER and you will get far better performance.

    At least I get it with my MKII files.

    The new booster functionality will come to the big EDIUS 6.

  3. Wags, are you saying that you can edit with filters, layers, color correct and composites in realtime without rendering? That's amazing.

    Edited by Drew
  4. Have not tried Neo with the new booster, have to uninstall EDIUS 5 to try it out but would be interesting to see if it cuts the movs up better.

    Yes I heard that too about EDIUS 6

    What can you do with your 5D clips in realtime with Neo?

     

    Drew, I can scrub the timeline no problems and have a single mov clip playing back realtime.

    I can add colour correction and have a sound tack but that's about that.

    Fine for straight cuts...but anything more and would have to convert to an easier codec.

     

    I been messing around with it on my Blackbird steadycam, it flies pretty good and indoors the camera really shines, just crank up your ISO.

    Need a wider lens though, looks like the Tokina 11-16mm is the one to get.

    Edited by wagsy
  5. Well, I did a quick test on my core2duo system which cannot playback one single file on tthe timeline witth neo 2.

    With Booster I was able to work with at least 4 realtime lines and added colour correction and other filters.

    Give it a try...

     

    EDIUS rocks!

  6. Gee.... so you are saying you can get 4 tracks of raw Canon 5D mov files playing back in realtime on the timeline?

     

    Gee might have to uninstall EDIUS 5 and try the Neo-Booster....you would think they would add it to EDIUS 5......

     

    I guess they want to make a buck from it so make us all buy version 6 lol.

  7. Jep!

    They even charge for the update from Neo 2 to Booster (which is V2.5).

  8. Hmm, I have to rephrase my inital post a bit.

     

    I just received the boxed upgrade and installed Neo 2.5 on my machine which is Vista x64.

    My previous test was with the trial on a clean Win 7 x64 installation on the same computer.

    At Win 7 I experienced a much better performance then I do now on the Vista system.

     

    I need to dig deeper in this.... :island:

  9. Well maybe you had better just stick to Win 7.

    I'll upgrade my XP system to it soon I think.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.