Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Carry-on OR Check-in?

Started by bkkchriss4 ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Carry-on OR Check-in?

18 posts
  1. I know this topic has been discussed to death... but... I just purchased a ThinkTank Airport International v.2 AND a Storm Case im2720.

     

    So I can fit the following in the ThinkTank (pretty much everything for a macro setup):

     

    Nauticam D90 Housing

    2x Inon Z240

    Port/Gears for Nikon 105mm

    Chargers/misc. cables

    Arms/claps

    Fisheye FIX focus light

    Nikon 105mm lens

    Tokina 10-17 lens

     

    In the Storm I can fit all the above PLUS and extra room to grow:

    8.5 dome port

    and extra space for camera/lenses (wouldnt keep them in there when traveling, but storage at home)

     

    95% of my travel is to SE Asia (and I have status on airlines so extra baggage is fortunately not an issue).

     

    Since I check all my other dive gear of course, would you just check the heavy duty Storm or put the dome with the dive gear and roll the ThinkTank on hoping that they let it in carry-on (its appropriate size, but for sure overweight!).

     

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

  2. I've got the same cases. My original intention was to check my uw gear in the 2720.

    On my recent trip to Palau/Yap I was so concerned about my photo gear getting

    there that I never used the Storm and

    used the TT AI and their Airport Check In and carried on.....

     

    TT AI-

    Subal 5D mk2 Housing w/ 180 Finder w/ 5D MK2 in Housing

    Housing Handles (removed)

    Allen wrench tool (yes they had to get confirmation it wasn't a weapon)

    2-YS-250 w/ Batteries - Checked my charger assuming if that went

    missing someone else would probably have one I could borrow

    2-S&S Sync Cords

    ULCS Arms, clamps etc

    100mm Macro Port

    8" Dome

    75mm Ext Ring For Ports

    Focusing Light

    2-5D MK2 Bodies w/ Vert Grips & Batteries

    All my CF Cards

    O-Rings, Gears etc

    S&S TTL Adapter

     

    TT ACI-

    15" MacBook Pro

    Charger, Card reader, iPod sync cable, Earbuds

    2- 500GB portable drives w/ cords

    Regulator and removable Octo

    Dive Computer

    Medications

    Travel Documents

    Toothbrush and toothpaste

    Gum

    5- Lenses and a couple hoods

    and I know I'm missing something....

     

    The rest of my gear was checked but was minimal

    clothes and mostly dive gear.

     

    I know I got lucky but it's doable.

    I totally stuffed my bags and they were hard to zip

    but they worked great.

     

    Cary

    Edited by Carey Dean
  3. Would love to see how you got the 8in dome in there! I am pretty full right now and have smaller housing/strobes than you!

     

    Any photos of it packed by chance?

     

     

     

     

    I've got the same cases. My original intention was to check my uw gear in the 2720.

    On my recent trip to Palau/Yap I was so concerned about my photo gear getting

    there that I never used the Storm and

    used the TT AI and their Airport Check In and carried on.....

     

    TT AI-

    Subal 5D mk2 Housing w/ 180 Finder w/ 5D MK2 in Housing

    Housing Handles (removed)

    Allen wrench tool (yes they had to get confirmation it wasn't a weapon)

    2-YS-250 w/ Batteries - Checked my charger assuming if that went

    missing someone else would probably have one I could borrow

    2-S&S Sync Cords

    ULCS Arms, clamps etc

    100mm Macro Port

    8" Dome

    75mm Ext Ring For Ports

    Focusing Light

    2-5D MK2 Bodies w/ Vert Grips & Batteries

    All my CF Cards

    O-Rings, Gears etc

    S&S TTL Adapter

     

    TT ACI-

    15" MacBook Pro

    Charger, Card reader, iPod sync cable, Earbuds

    2- 500GB portable drives w/ cords

    Regulator and removable Octo

    Dive Computer

    Medications

    Travel Documents

    Toothbrush and toothpaste

    Gum

    5- Lenses and a couple hoods

    and I know I'm missing something....

     

    The rest of my gear was checked but was minimal

    clothes and mostly dive gear.

     

    I know I got lucky but it's doable.

    I totally stuffed my bags and they were hard to zip

    but they worked great.

     

    Cary

  4. :island: I should've taken a pic of it.... wish I'd have thought to do that.

    Busted out the P&S....

    It's a mess now because my next trip is a road trip to FL, so I pack

    differently. (can take more stuff)

    I started by pulling most of the dividers out of the case

    The 8in dome was toward the bottom of the case on it's side near the

    cutout groove where the telescoping handle assembly is fitted to the case.

    I have a neoprene port cover and the side of the case is padded

    so as long as I was the one handling the bag or it was on it's back

    there was no stress on the dome. I angled it so that the shade was

    at a 1oclock/7oclock position so less strain on the cases zipper.

    I am moving to some more compact strobes too so hopefully next

    overseas trip I'll not be quite so crammed. I made sure to watch

    whomever was searching my luggage and offer when I saw them

    struggling to get everything back in place. Saved us all a headache.

    post-23923-1264459811.jpg

  5. Cary:

     

    :) I don't think that your packing is obsessive enough...

     

    ... it looks to me as if some womanly advice woould let you get twice as much into your bag! :)

     

    Tim

     

    :island:

  6. Cary:

     

    :D I don't think that your packing is obsessive enough...

     

    ... it looks to me as if some womanly advice woould let you get twice as much into your bag! ^_^

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    That is the what's left of what was packed shot. The rest of it is spread about. I still have a few days

    to be completely packed :island:

     

    But I imagine you're probably pretty accurate :)

    post-23923-1264498684.jpg

    Edited by Cary Dean
  7. Carry on. I almost bought the Airport case recently actually. Instead I got the Shapeshifter which can fit a lot if it needs to. I also have a Akona camera bag carry on. I usually bring the shapeshifter compressed only carrying my laptop and a few things (its only three inches thick) then if anyone gives me problems I just smile and start to move things into the shapeshifter. I can fit two ds-160's, tokina 10-17, Nikon 105 vr, 35mm, d300, 70-300 vr, and various ultralite arms charges etc. It is a huge bag and can still fit under an airline seat. Then I just keep the housing, dome port and macro ports along with a 60mm in the akona.

  8. I need to get more creative and figure a way to fit the 8.5" dome in the ThinkTank! Seems everyone is able to fit these massive domes! Either that or get a little 4" dome for the 10-17...

  9. Maybe a chin strap and convert it to a helmet??

  10. I have designed several creative ways to pack SLR systems into a variety of think tank bags. We recently packed a full Nauticam D90 set up with 8.5 inch port into the new Airport Take off.

     

    If the system utilizes larger strobes such as the YS 250 or Ike DS160/161 strobes, then I like to go with an Airport Takeoff or International V2...and then use the Urban Disguise 60 as a secondary bag. In the UD 60 I can put the large dome upright, as well as both strobes...then have room for housing, all accessories, camera bodies, lenses, etc in the roller...and fit my mask and dive computer.

  11. If the system utilizes larger strobes such as the YS 250 or Ike DS160/161 strobes, then I like to go with an Airport Takeoff or International V2...and then use the Urban Disguise 60 as a secondary bag. In the UD 60 I can put the large dome upright, as well as both strobes...then have room for housing, all accessories, camera bodies, lenses, etc in the roller...and fit my mask and dive computer.

     

    Good idea.

  12. I don't know why this is such a hard decision!

     

    I currently at home now have a Pelican 1564 which fits everything (not including camera/lenses of course) and feels like it could survive a bomb blast. Check in only.

     

    Or a Think Tank International v2 which fits everything except the 8" dome (maybe I can manage to fit it in)... carry on the plane... and if I have to check it once and a while... hopefully its padded enough!

     

    Gotta return one bag... decisions... decisions... haha.

  13. I don't know why this is such a hard decision!

    Understatement of the year :)

    The amount of bags I've owned trying to have the right bag for the

    job or specific use...... I don't want to think about it.. :good:

  14. I don't know why this is such a hard decision!

     

    Hi,

    I like the Think Tank International bag too. I'm curious if in your travels back and forth if you've had the airlines weigh your carry on. A lot depends on where you're flying in to. I wouldn't send a Pelican through San Juan or try to go through Brisbane with a heavy carry on. There are many others that don't make it easy for us.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  15. I have yet to have anyone every check my carry-on for weight or size. Granted I have never tried to take anything TOO much bigger than international standard size, but certainly heavier.

     

    The more airlines get tight on the rules, the more I think I should just pack everything up in a Pelican inside a Army Surplus bag and check it...

  16. It used to be carry-on when the check-in clerk paid no attention to a shoulder bag so long as it appeared small enough to be within size and weight (5kg) limts. These days they are weighing everything so I have to check-in CJ's and my systems. Now we both have Samsonite Aeris Uprights which take just about everything.

  17. I use a Pelican 1600 case holding:

    1 Ikelite housing for Nikon D90

    1 Ikelite DS-125 flash with arm and charger

    1 Ikelite 6'' domeport

    1 Ikelite flat port for Nikkor 18-105mm DX VR Lens

    1 Ikelite flat port for Nikkor 105mm Makro lens

    2 Zoom gear rings

    various other minor pieces

     

    This fits perfetly in a old, shabby luggage where nobody expect such a value inside and i never got anything stolen on

    my various trips to Costa Rica, Italy, Roatan and the Red Sea

     

    My Nikon D90, 4 lenses, flash, adapters, chargers and so on will travel with me in a Lowepro photo backpack with a space for the laptop.

     

    Chris Karrer

  18. So just an update to my earlier post.

     

    I have since decided on a Pelican 1560 for all my housing/ports/strobes/extras/etc. Fits everything perfectly with room to spare and servers as good secure storage when not traveling.

     

    I have flown international this way a few times now, always with the Pelican uncovered, with zip ties and so far have had no problems.

     

    I keep the camera/lenses with me on the plane.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.