Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Better way to start off

Started by pool_dude ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Better way to start off

6 posts
  1. Starting off in underwater d-slr photography, some people normally say start with a 60mm and tokina 10-17mm. This type of setup makes sense cause you get to dip your feet in both areas. But I also feel, that sometimes, the equipment you start off with can influence your direction in underwater photography. ( I'm also aware other factors such as either the abundance of macro critters and or numerous pelagics available locally can influence the direction as well, but i want to try to stick to equipment alone.)

     

    What would be better to start off with? Explore the possibilities with 1 powerful strobe and a macro and wide angle lens? or focus on one aspect we choose, either wide angle OR macro and explore what you can do with 1 and 2 strobes alike? If it helps, I am asking this question from a pacing/learning standpoint. Also, if you started off differently, I would also certainly appreciate to hear your story and progression.

     

    Thanks in advance to the people who will respond!

  2. Starting off in underwater d-slr photography, some people normally say start with a 60mm and tokina 10-17mm. This type of setup makes sense cause you get to dip your feet in both areas. But I also feel, that sometimes, the equipment you start off with can influence your direction in underwater photography. ( I'm also aware other factors such as either the abundance of macro critters and or numerous pelagics available locally can influence the direction as well, but i want to try to stick to equipment alone.)

     

    What would be better to start off with? Explore the possibilities with 1 powerful strobe and a macro and wide angle lens? or focus on one aspect we choose, either wide angle OR macro and explore what you can do with 1 and 2 strobes alike? If it helps, I am asking this question from a pacing/learning standpoint. Also, if you started off differently, I would also certainly appreciate to hear your story and progression.

     

    Thanks in advance to the people who will respond!

     

    I started off with Macro first (Nikonos III with extension tubes and an Ikelite housed Vivitar 191 strobe) because that was all I could afford at the time and this set up allowed me to shoot year round locally no matter what the visibility conditions. Once I started earning enough to buy my first housed SLR (Canon F1 in a used Ikelite and then into a metal Oceanic Hydro 35 housing. BTW I still have them...LOL) I went WA because of having this huge sport viewfinder to compose and shoot larger subjects (sigh, how much i miss shooting through this awesome sportsfinder) . Then progressed to larger and twin Ikelite strobe systems. When TTL came around went back to more macro. Got bored and went back to WA and FF fisheye for large pelagics and wrecks. Then went back to macro for tropical muck critters.Currently I'm into split shots and back to wide angle. Lens selection and collection basically followed various subject and technique interests over time.

    Did anybody say Fisheye Macro? Mmmmm...guess I'm going macro again :)

     

    For beginners I always advise going CU and Maco first, for these images at first will have a better chance to get you praise and responses of "Wow! what is that? and how dd you get that picture?" from those that see your images. Positive reinforcement is important to counteract the many challenges and frustrations in the beginning, then the self-challenge and creative quest for that "perfect" image will take over as a life long addiction :island: .

     

    Just my journey of never ending challenges and enjoyment. It is a journey not a destination, for me at least.

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  3. I started off with wide angle because I like the big stuff. I got a 17-40 lens, and I have a camera with a full frame sensor so it has been highly versatile. I also started off with 2 strobes, and I still use them. The only change I have made is to upgrade the camera body to the 5d mark2 so I can shoot video as well as stills!! That has been the greatest thing for me personally. If you can get a camera with this capability then get it!! I have a macro lens as well, and had it prior to my interest in uw photography, but don't use it that much because I enjoy the larger animals...

  4. Starting off in underwater d-slr photography, some people normally say start with a 60mm and tokina 10-17mm. This type of setup makes sense cause you get to dip your feet in both areas.

     

    Hi dude,

    You are on the right track with a 60mm and the 10-17. There are thousands of great images you can make with that setup. The 60mm is a great fish lens as well as macro and is a good starting off point. The decision to shoot macro or wide angle is often made for you depending on the site and location. You didn't mention where you plan to be diving. One or two strobes is a little tougher to answer. One strobe will allow you to make great images too and I shot that way for many years. Many of us that shoot with two would be better off if we turned one off occasionally. On the other hand I find two strobes easier to shoot but it's also easy to get lazy and not think about the light. At it's core photography is all about the light and two just give you more options.

     

    Which ever way you decide to go I'd highly recommend you plan to work in some lessons from the pros. The Digital Shootout in Bonaire is a great time and in one week you'll save yourself years of figuring it out on your own. Alex's seminars are wonderful. Highly recommended. Cathy Church's outfit in Cayman is another I've heard great things about but haven't been there myself. There are wonderful photographers all over the world who can help you get started.

     

    Have fun, looking forward to you images!

    Steve

  5. I agree with Steve. I wish I could have started with a 60mm lens... great for fish portraits. What is your preference? Macro? Leading to super macro? Or larger subjects? You can build your kit based upon the type of photography that you'll be doing and what interests you most. The Digital Shootout is a great week of learning from the pros to take your imaging to the next level, great for beginner to intermediate levels. This year it's in Little Cayman, and if you're interested in finding out more info, check out this site: The Digital Shootout

     

    Go dive and shoot! And have fun!

     

    Jen

  6. I would recommend starting off with macro (60mm) while you are getting comfortable with the rig underwater. Also stick with one strobe for a while, this will force you to think about strobe positioning with each shot. But as soon as you are comfortable with the housing start playing around with the wide angle, it is a lot of fun and not as scary as it seems at first.

     

    Regards

     

    Nigel

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.