Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Under the Red Sea- Reefs, Dugong, Turtles and Sharks

Started by Ferg42 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Under the Red Sea- Reefs, Dugong, Turtles and Sharks

8 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    Just edited together some shots from the Red Sea. Mostly shot on 5D Mark II, with 15mm fish and some with the 17-40. I've added a personal narrative.

     

    [vimeo]8670550[/vimeo]

     

    Still very happy with the way the Mark II is performing for video. Yet to get the 7D underwater, but hopefully won't be long now.... :island:

     

    Cheers

     

    Ferg

  2. Great stuff Ferg, you got some wonderful shots and how clear was the water hey.....

     

    Seems the main problem is in keeping the housing smooth, maybe put some weight on it to weigh it down abit.

  3. I know what you mean, Wags, there were a couple of shots from Dolphinhouse Reef- Shab Samadai, where you're only allowed to snorkel with a lifejacket on, which pretty much kills any possibility of a steady shot, specially when it's blowing 25 knots! The housing itself is slightly negative, but with the 8" dome on it's not balanced and always tries to rotate dome up, so it could do with a small weight under the dome and a small float at the back.

  4. I like that shot of you diving down and the color fades as you get deeper. So nice to illustrate the filters and WB. :island:

  5. Nice!

     

    Where did you shot the dugong? I know there one or two at the Abu Dabab site but I heard youre not allowed to dive there anymore. It need to shoot a few sequence of a dugong and planning to go to Egypt next fall. Any info on how and with who to book to nail this project will be welcome.

    Thanks

     

    Pierre

  6. Nice!

     

    Where did you shot the dugong? I know there one or two at the Abu Dabab site but I heard youre not allowed to dive there anymore. It need to shoot a few sequence of a dugong and planning to go to Egypt next fall. Any info on how and with who to book to nail this project will be welcome.

    Thanks

     

    Pierre

     

    Hi Pierre,

     

    I shot the Dugong a couple of years ago in Abu Dabab, I think it was the quite old individual known as Dennis. Unfortunately this season he hasn't been seen at all there, as far as I know, so some think he may have died, or moved on. But all is not lost- apparently there are regular sightings of Dugongs in other bays nearby. I think Marsa Mubarak, the bay immediately south of Port Ghalib- it must be only a few kilometres is supposed to have a fairly regular dugong. It certainly had plenty of green turtles when I was last there. Try contacting Emperor Divers in the Marina Lodge Hotel at Port Ghalib- they should know.

  7. Stunning!!

    May I know if you did any manual focus? or just used smaller aperture in order to keep everything in focus?

  8. Stunning!!

    May I know if you did any manual focus? or just used smaller aperture in order to keep everything in focus?

     

    Hi,

     

    No, no manual focusing required. If you use a fisheye or a wide zoom and stick in on f8 or f11, you have a huge depth of field. Mostly I could just prefocus on my fin or something at the start of a dive, but with the 17-40mm or if the subject is really close, you can prefocus before you hit record- I use quick-AF, rather than the slower contrast-detect system.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.