Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Workflow options with NX2

Started by loftus ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Workflow options with NX2

15 posts
  1. For those who use NX2 as their RAW convertor, what workflow do you use?

    I am unhappy with the RAW conversion in either Lightroom or Aperture and would much prefer to use NX2 which I think is clearly the best RAW convertor for Nikon users.

    But I love the interface of Aperture and the workflow process sorting, selecting and storing images, stacks etc.

    Are there any other programs out there that will allow me to do what Aperture or Lightroom do in terms of making selects, creating folders etc but will allow me to use NX2 as my RAW convertor and basic editor. Photo Mechanic seems the closest, but does not provide the same ability for storage in projects , folders etc like Aperture.

  2. For those who use NX2 as their RAW convertor, what workflow do you use?

    I am unhappy with the RAW conversion in either Lightroom or Aperture and would much prefer to use NX2 which I think is clearly the best RAW convertor for Nikon users.

    But I love the interface of Aperture and the workflow process sorting, selecting and storing images, stacks etc.

    Are there any other programs out there that will allow me to do what Aperture or Lightroom do in terms of making selects, creating folders etc but will allow me to use NX2 as my RAW convertor and basic editor. Photo Mechanic seems the closest, but does not provide the same ability for storage in projects , folders etc like Aperture.

     

    I'd be very interested too for similar reasons but also because Apertures bizarre concepts of pojects, galleries, albums etc and how changes to one image do (or dont) affect other "copies" of it is just getting irritating the more images I need to manage.

  3. I'd be very interested too for similar reasons but also because Apertures bizarre concepts of pojects, galleries, albums etc and how changes to one image do (or dont) affect other "copies" of it is just getting irritating the more images I need to manage.

    For me that's the main benefit of Aperture; I like being able to keep different versions together with projects, albums, folders etc. I just don't like the RAW conversion. Probably what I need is simply a photo database program that stores images the way Aperture does, without the RAW convertor part.

  4. I juse Nikon View and Capture NX2 for my workflow. Here is what I usually do:

     

    1) Copy my RAW files to a new subfolder. Make a RAW folder in there.

    2) I review my pics with View, and tag the ones I consider keepers with a star rating.

    3) I usually drag & drop my tagged RAW photos to a HIGHLIGHTS folder.

    4) Use NX2 to do any edits, crops, adjustments. Generally launching photos from View one at a time.

    5) Use NX2 batch processing to convert everything in the HIGHLIGHTS folder to a JPG folder.

     

    Pretty simple, and no oddball projects and libraries. I have tried Lightroom a few times, and just find Capture better suited to my style.

     

    Dave

     

     

    For those who use NX2 as their RAW convertor, what workflow do you use?

    I am unhappy with the RAW conversion in either Lightroom or Aperture and would much prefer to use NX2 which I think is clearly the best RAW convertor for Nikon users.

    But I love the interface of Aperture and the workflow process sorting, selecting and storing images, stacks etc.

    Are there any other programs out there that will allow me to do what Aperture or Lightroom do in terms of making selects, creating folders etc but will allow me to use NX2 as my RAW convertor and basic editor. Photo Mechanic seems the closest, but does not provide the same ability for storage in projects , folders etc like Aperture.

  5. can't you continue to use Aperture for your database etc and then when you want to open a particular photo just right click it in Aperture and "open in Capture"? or is that not an option?

  6. can't you continue to use Aperture for your database etc and then when you want to open a particular photo just right click it in Aperture and "open in Capture"? or is that not an option?

    I think I have to convert them first using VIEW then NX as Dave does, then import to Aperture as TIFFS for that to work if I don't want Aperture to convert the RAW file.

    If I import from the card into Aperture, and then reexport to NX, I think Aperture converts the file so on reexport I will have a different RAW file than if I import via NX. I want to use Nikon's RAW formula not Aperture or Lightroom's or ACR.

    Edited by loftus
  7. I think I have to convert them first using VIEW then NX as Dave does, then import to Aperture as TIFFS for that to work if I don't want Aperture to convert the RAW file.

    If I import from the card into Aperture, and then reexport to NX, I think Aperture converts the file so on reexport I will have a different RAW file than if I import via NX. I want to use Nikon's RAW formula not Aperture or Lightroom's or ACR.

    Not to derail the thread too much ... but have you tried the LR3 beta? The RAW development has been completely re-done. I'm impressed.

  8. Also ... there's an article on the Luminous Landscape about using Capture One as your RAW developer and Lightroom as your "asset manager" ... it may apply to NX2 + Aperture as well ...

     

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial..._workflow.shtml

    No I have not, but I think NX is clearly the best for me; I even prefer many of it's Nik style editing features. So I want to stick with NX as my RAW convertor; makes the most sense as it is Nikon's formula. I don't like Lightroom's modules etc, I really prefer Aperture's layout. Also I don't want to lose all my versions in Aperture by switching libraries to another database like Lightroom if possible.

     

    Thanks though, I will try this in Aperture. Have to check whether Aperture will keep the files in Prophoto color space

    Edited by loftus
  9. No I have not, but I think NX is clearly the best for me; I even prefer many of it's Nik style editing features. So I want to stick with NX as my RAW convertor; makes the most sense as it is Nikon's formula. I don't like Lightroom's modules etc, I really prefer Aperture's layout. Also I don't want to lose all my versions in Aperture by switching libraries to another database like Lightroom if possible.

    I understand ... there are some cool tricks like control points and nice features like automatic lens corrections, etc. that make it an appealing converter.

     

    What's wrong with your current workflow?

  10. I understand ... there are some cool tricks like control points and nice features like automatic lens corrections, etc. that make it an appealing converter.

     

    What's wrong with your current workflow?

    I like my current workflow except for the RAW conversion; and I also want to work in ProPhoto, not Apple's color space.

    I really use Aperture mostly for file management and simple edits like crops. I also find the Aperture spotting tool to be easier and better than Adobe's particularly near edges. Pictures I like get worked on in Photoshop then stored back in Aperture, and printing is done by exporting a TIFF to Imageprint RIP. Keeping multiple versions for different purposes like printing variations for different media, web etc,together in a stack is easiest in Aperture it seems.

    NX2's handling of files seems to deliver crisper, better saturated images with better handling of the two most important areas for me - skin tones and blues.

    Having said all that I may have to revisit looking at Lightroom with the idea of just using it's Library module.

    Edited by loftus
  11. I like my current workflow except for the RAW conversion; and I also want to work in ProPhoto, not Apple's color space.

    I really use Aperture mostly for file management and simple edits like crops. I also find the Aperture spotting tool to be easier and better than Adobe's particularly near edges. Pictures I like get worked on in Photoshop then stored back in Aperture, and printing is done by exporting a TIFF to Imageprint RIP. Keeping multiple versions for different purposes like printing variations for different media, web etc,together in a stack is easiest in Aperture it seems.

    NX2's handling of files seems to deliver crisper, better saturated images with better handling of the two most important areas for me - skin tones and blues.

    Having said all that I may have to revisit looking at Lightroom with the idea of just using it's Library module.

     

    Can you do like the LuLa article suggests just with NX2 and Aperture instead of Capture One and LR?

     

    Capture -> Select, Cull and Convert from RAW and publish to TIFF in NX2 -> Import TIFFs into Aperture ... go from there ...

  12. For me that's the main benefit of Aperture; I like being able to keep different versions together with projects, albums, folders etc. I just don't like the RAW conversion. Probably what I need is simply a photo database program that stores images the way Aperture does, without the RAW convertor part.

     

    Yes, I like to do that too BUT Aperture is so confusing I never know what I have got.

     

    Sometimes I want the "same" RAW to show up in multiple places but be a link to the same file (so any changes I make are reflected in both versions)

     

    But then sometimes I may not want that (say if i submit to a contest that doesn't allow cropping or manipulation)

     

    Aperture has so many confusing terms, and requirements especially when organizing into projects etc. that I usually never quite know what I end up with.

     

    For instance, I create a project

     

    "2010-Jan-1-MyDiveTrip" and put my photos in it, same for a bunch of projects (one per trip)

     

    Now I want to copy some images into

     

    "2010-Calender" Project--Sometimes It moves the files, sometimes copies them. When I try to "remove" them from the Calendar project, I get ominous messages about removing the original files and all references to these files.

     

    It's way too complex.

  13. Yes, I like to do that too BUT Aperture is so confusing I never know what I have got.

     

    Sometimes I want the "same" RAW to show up in multiple places but be a link to the same file (so any changes I make are reflected in both versions)

     

    But then sometimes I may not want that (say if i submit to a contest that doesn't allow cropping or manipulation)

     

    Aperture has so many confusing terms, and requirements especially when organizing into projects etc. that I usually never quite know what I end up with.

     

    For instance, I create a project

     

    "2010-Jan-1-MyDiveTrip" and put my photos in it, same for a bunch of projects (one per trip)

     

    Now I want to copy some images into

     

    "2010-Calender" Project--Sometimes It moves the files, sometimes copies them. When I try to "remove" them from the Calendar project, I get ominous messages about removing the original files and all references to these files.

     

    It's way too complex.

    The original raw image can only be in one place; if you want versions of an image to be in multiple places, the other places need to be albums, not other projects. So make a new album for your calender not a new project. That way you can bring images from multiple projects into one album with no problem.

    I have a little PDF summary that clarifies all this a little better, I'll pm you later and send it to you. Actually it's pretty straight forward and logical.

    Just like you I make one project per trip. My folder hierarchy goes by type of photography first, for example 'Family', Diving', 'Topside Travel'. Then within the major classifications are Folders by Geographic area, like Florida, Carribean, Pacific. Then my specific trip projects are within the appropriate folder such as Cocos in the Pacific folder. If I go to Cocos twice I can create a Cocos folder within the Pacific folder that holds both Cocos projects. Seems to work for me.

    Edited by loftus
  14. The original raw image can only be in one place; if you want versions of an image to be in multiple places, the other places need to be albums, not other projects. So make a new album for your calender not a new project. That way you can bring images from multiple projects into one album with no problem.

    I have a little PDF summary that clarifies all this a little better, I'll pm you later and send it to you. Actually it's pretty straight forward and logical.

    Just like you I make one project per trip. My folder hierarchy goes by type of photography first, for example 'Family', Diving', 'Topside Travel'. Then within the major classifications are Folders by Geographic area, like Florida, Carribean, Pacific. Then my specific trip projects are within the appropriate folder such as Cocos in the Pacific folder. If I go to Cocos twice I can create a Cocos folder within the Pacific folder that holds both Cocos projects. Seems to work for me.

     

    I will give that a try, see if it works. I definitely want to use NX2 to do the RAW though

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.