Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tamron 90mm Macro

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tamron 90mm Macro

6 posts
  1. I bought a Tamron 90mm Macro because I thought it would be a good compromise for both my D200 and D700 outfits. I was disappointed that the auto focus worked intermittantly on all the cameras I tried and when it did it hunted alarmingly. So I went back to the dealer who confirmed its auto focus didn't work - so he offered to swap it. We went through his whole stock and found that nearly of all the Tamron 90mm Macro lenses he had (5 or 6) only one worked and I was reluctant to find that it stopped working when I went to use it - so I swapped it for a 60mm Nikon lens.

     

    Has anyone had a similar experience with the Tamron 90mm on a Nikon or was this just a bad batch? I think it might be to do with manufacturing tolerances.

    Edited by John Bantin
  2. I have only tried one Tamron 90 for Nikon and the autofocus worked as it should. This was before the new versions that I think have a built-in motor, but it still sounds like a bad batch.

  3. I have a Tamron 90mm macro and use it on my D80 without any problems. The version I have doesn't have a motor in it.

  4. I have a Tamron 90mm macro and use it on my D80 without any problems. The version I have doesn't have a motor in it.

     

    It sounds like they are having trouble with the focussing motor contacts. History to me 'cos I went to a Nikon lens instead.

  5. It sounds like they are having trouble with the focussing motor contacts. History to me 'cos I went to a Nikon lens instead.

     

    This is interesting. I have a Tamron 18-200 and a 70-300. The 18-200 is my "walking about" lens. I find it's intermittent in autofous and, sometimes, my D60 says it can't find the lens at all!

     

    I'm thinking about buying the 60mm macro but, on reading your post, I'm thinking harder. It IS a full F stop faster than the Nikon one.

    Edited by ians.moyes@gmail.com
  6. I have a Tamron 90mm for Canon and the autofocus works fine. On the Nikon version of the lens, does changing focus cause the lens to change lengths signficantly? This happens for the Canon version so I decided to stick to the Canon 60mm and 100mm lens to put in my housing since the focus mechanism for those lenses is internal.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.