Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17mm with Teleconverter

Started by coloradodawn ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17mm with Teleconverter

9 posts
  1. Hi there,

    My question is that I have seen a post which mentions a Tokina 10-17mm lense paired with a Teleconverter. Would that be used for Close-up Wide Angle? Anyone have any shots using this type of setup?

    I LOVE my 10-17mm lense and I use it for wide-angle, and some close-up wide-angle. My setup is a Nikon D300, Sea&Sea Housing, Fish-eye dome port. I have a couple of extension rings, and realize I may need one to accomodate the teleconverter. I am just wondering what benefit the Teleconverter would give me; pro's and con's. Thanks! Larissa Roorda

    Edited by coloradodawn
  2. I think it's usually full-frame users attaching the teleconverter.

     

    On the D300, the 10-17 does great close-up wide-angle without the teleconverter, imho.

     

    hope this helps,

    Scott

  3. I think it's usually full-frame users attaching the teleconverter.

     

    On the D300, the 10-17 does great close-up wide-angle without the teleconverter, imho.

     

    hope this helps,

    Scott

    It certainly does. Add the 1.4 TC and you get a longer lens which can mean a smaller kit. One lens + TC = 2 w/a lenses that you and use with the same dome port.

    Bob

  4. Thanks very much!

  5. Hi there,

    My question is that I have seen a post which mentions a Tokina 10-17mm lense paired with a Teleconverter. Would that be used for Close-up Wide Angle? Anyone have any shots using this type of setup?

    I LOVE my 10-17mm lense and I use it for wide-angle, and some close-up wide-angle. My setup is a Nikon D300, Sea&Sea Housing, Fish-eye dome port. I have a couple of extension rings, and realize I may need one to accomodate the teleconverter. I am just wondering what benefit the Teleconverter would give me; pro's and con's. Thanks! Larissa Roorda

     

     

    Those settings are very good for special purposes, can be used for tiny subject in cases of macro wide shots. Certainly it wil be easier than without teleconverter. I attempted it many times, but I could not recognizes obvious lack of sharpness in spite of using teleconverter. Those pictures are Tokina 10-17 plus1.4 teleconvertoer with cropped sensor camera ,Fuji S 5 pro.

    post-25407-1264727985.jpg

    post-25407-1264728257.jpg

    Edited by cho
  6. Hi there,

     

    The idea of combining the 10-17 with a teleconverter is to provide a "type" of image.

     

    In essence, you can show the subject in its environment-a fish with the reef as a background for example. The teleconverter increases the size o f the subject in frame, and the 10-17 allows you to still get a full background. Of course, there are other ways of doing this too. It works with full and cropped frame cameras.

     

    The most recent and definitive article on this is wetpixel member Don Silcock's in the latest issue of UWP mag. You can download it here

     

    His article is on page 30.

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  7. It certainly does. Add the 1.4 TC and you get a longer lens which can mean a smaller kit. One lens + TC = 2 w/a lenses that you and use with the same dome port.

    Bob

    Although surely you need an additional extension ring for the port to compensate for the added length of the teleconverter as well as any extra gear and so you are not really saving much.

     

    D

  8. Great information! I appreciate everyone responding. I understand the purpose of it now, and may attempt on my next trip. I do have a smaller (compact) dome port, which might help with lighting and getting closer to the subject. GREAT PHOTOS, CHO! Thanks for sharing them.

    This type of photo is very unique. I like it!

    Edited by coloradodawn
  9. Although surely you need an additional extension ring for the port to compensate for the added length of the teleconverter as well as any extra gear and so you are not really saving much.

     

    D

    For zooming, an extra gear is required; likewise for a second lens. Depending on the port, you may or may not need an extension port. So, 10-17lens + TE + Z-gear + dome < 10-17 lens + 2 Z-gears + 12-24 lens + dome and maybe + 2nd dome.

    Bob

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.