Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

huge Capacity Compact Flash Card

Started by matt215 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

huge Capacity Compact Flash Card

11 posts
  1. Anyone seen or own this? that is major storage capacity. so with this size do you just take one card on a trip?

  2. Anyone seen or own this? that is major storage capacity. so with this size do you just take one card on a trip?

     

    Haven't seen any pof the larger cards yet in person, but I still would not carry just one card no matter what due to the chance of failure/damage. Also the newest/larget cards are always alot more $$ and to me the larger capacity for the price is not worth it. Right now 8 Gig/16 Gig seems to give the most bang for the buck to me and what I need.

  3. Haven't seen any pof the larger cards yet in person, but I still would not carry just one card no matter what due to the chance of failure/damage. Also the newest/larget cards are always alot more $$ and to me the larger capacity for the price is not worth it. Right now 8 Gig/16 Gig seems to give the most bang for the buck to me and what I need.

    I know the D700 was upgraded to accept 64gb cards in the 1.02FW update only a couple weeks ago ... but I think that's the max for now.

     

    16gb is my sweet spot ... each card seems about evenly matched with a single, fully-charged battery.

  4. I agree. 16 GB is the sweet spot. I remember when 1 GB was beyond imagination, and now look where we are. I wonder what the next generation of cameras will do as far as resolution, and how long 16 GB will get the job done. One day we'll all probably have several of these high capacity cards in our bag...

  5. but I still would not carry just one card no matter what due to the chance of failure/damage.

     

    I see a lot of people saying this, but which is a better possibility. Card failure OR someone steel your laptop in your hotel room, or loosing a card?

  6. I see a lot of people saying this, but which is a better possibility. Card failure OR someone steel your laptop in your hotel room, or loosing a card?

     

    I have had card failures (though has been awhile) but have not lost a card or had someone steal my laptop, so fortunately I am the wrong person to ask :)

     

    They are small to carry and you can backup to a card via the laptop and/or many card readers. With all of the costs involved with UW Photography, travel and the rest, to me the costs and size of having extra cards is worth it. In fact if I have enough cards on a trip so to shoot whatever I want, make a back and still leave the cards unerased I like it. I have seen enough situations where "Dang, wish I bought an extra cable" or whatever else which becomes a PITA when traveling and not near a place where equipment is easy to get (if at all) or prohibitively expensive. And CF/SD cards should never be one of those things that put a kabosh on a trip. At least to me. :yahoo:

  7. I have had card failures (though has been awhile) but have not lost a card or had someone steal my laptop, so fortunately I am the wrong person to ask :)

     

    They are small to carry and you can backup to a card via the laptop and/or many card readers. With all of the costs involved with UW Photography, travel and the rest, to me the costs and size of having extra cards is worth it. In fact if I have enough cards on a trip so to shoot whatever I want, make a back and still leave the cards unerased I like it. I have seen enough situations where "Dang, wish I bought an extra cable" or whatever else which becomes a PITA when traveling and not near a place where equipment is easy to get (if at all) or prohibitively expensive. And CF/SD cards should never be one of those things that put a kabosh on a trip. At least to me. :yahoo:

    Agreed ... I now travel with 3 - 16gb cards, 1 - 8gb card, 3 batteries and two chargers.

  8. I take 2 16's, 2 8's and 2 batteries. not to mention the 750gb external drive and blank dvd's...

  9. I used to download onto my Mac and back-up on CDs! Then I progressed to downloading on my Mac and backing-up on memory sticks! Then I realised that if I kept the cards full with pictures after downloading, they were the back-up. Doh! So now I take the Mac and a number of CF cards. I dislike the idea of leaving so many pictures on a card since I still bear the scars of flooding one DSLR so I like to take the CF card out of the camera at the end of the day and substitute another. In this way I have never needed CF cards of more than 2gb but recently swapped to 4gb and am now experimenting with a couple of 8gb. The problem for me is that if I come back without any pictures, I get fired!

  10. I use a similar strategy, keeping 8GB cards and also backing them up to a toughdrive via a netbook. I swap cards every couple of days work, or every day if I have another reason to open the housing like changing lens or battery.

  11. Anyone seen or own this? that is major storage capacity. so with this size do you just take one card on a trip?

     

     

    Wow, 128 GB! These may become standard if we go to 30+ MP and 16-bit! :D

    My older cameras only take 2GB!! I have one 32 GB card that I use for UW shoots and have not yet filled up the card with either the D2H or D2X. I have filled 4 and 8 GB cards on a single shoot. My shoots may last for 6 hours + :P so need capacity.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.