Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Antics of Ladybug Amphipods

Started by Mary Lynn ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Antics of Ladybug Amphipods

7 posts
  1. Hello All,

     

    Just released a new DiveFilm HD Video Podcast episode at iTunes on Ladybug Amphipods by filmmaker Mike Elliott.

     

    Very tiny. Very cool!

     

    ladybug.jpg

     

    I can barely see these little guys, so when I saw Mike's video footage of them when we were diving with Dive Damai in Komodo this past Fall I was totally fascinated.

     

    More about Mike at his website, MuckDiver.com.

     

    DiveFilm HD Video Podcasts are "Featured HD Podcasts" and "Featured Sports Outdoor Podcasts" at iTunes, and are produced in association with Wetpixel.

     

    Hope you enjoy the new HD podcast episode!

     

    - Mary Lynn

  2. Looked great and it is very cool. Really liked the slow motion section...

  3. Yes, I wasn't sure whether the ladybugs escaped the bristle jaws until I saw the slowmo!

     

    I should have noted that these tiny critters are species of the genus Cyproidea.

     

    They are outrageously difficult to film in part because they are so tiny, tend to jump a lot, and are often found on walls with stronger current.

     

    Filmmaker Mike Elliott says of filming ladybug aphipods that "one difficulty is that the ladybugs always seem to be looking away from the camera. A minimum +2 diopter is needed to get even close. Huge patience, the best buoyancy you can muster, a steady rig, lots of light, and and HD camcorder with diopter."

     

    - Mary Lynn

  4. Awesome. Get him to submit it to UFEX 2010.

  5. Just goes to show you there is a place for unique music videos. Very cute and obviously, difficult to film.

    Steve

  6. Wow!

  7. Thanks for the compliments.

     

    Videoing these little critters is extremely challenging. I am still not satisfied with what I got and am going back this year in an attempt to do better! I will just dive ladybugs multiple times. Ladybug Ladybug Take 2 here I come!

     

    What makes these so difficult is they seem to like walls. In Komodo on Yellow Wall 'o Texas and Cannibal Rock the currents and surge make it nearly impossible to hold still and keep them in focus for more than a few seconds (watch my video a few times and try not to get sick 8~o). Sometimes I get lucky and can safely set down all three legs of my tripod without damaging anything.

     

    So to combat this I am fabricating a custom add-on for my custom tripod to allow quick adjustment of camera position in and out and left to right. I am also gong to a +7 diopter that increases my F-stop a bit improving depth of field. With this I hope to keep them in frame and in focus even with surge! Fingers are crossed!

     

    I doubt anyone can shoot these guys without the proper gear and if even then consider yourself very lucky.

     

    Mike

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.