Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Battery life

Started by okuma ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Battery life

8 posts
  1. My Maha 2700 are failing after 120/140 charges.

    Is this realistic?

  2. I buy new batteries at least every 2 yrs so I don't have to worry about them. How old are yours? Do you have several sets that you rotate?

  3. Batteries are 3 years to the month.

    Used on 2/3 week trips, twice a year.

  4. Are you familiar with these chargers as they will help with keeping your batteries at their peak.

     

    This states-

    Maha NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries have a very high life curve. They can be recharged from 500 to 1000 times, whilst retaining a high capacity.

     

    From what I understand it is not good to leave NiMH batts discharged for long periods. Could this be the case?

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  5. I have the previous Maha charger with conditioner.

     

    I believe my problem is in letting the batteries go dead between trips. I have tried to recharge every 3 months. All were last used in October and charged OK. In going over them now, some are dead and others, as measured by a digital load inducing meter, show 10% or less charge.

    So a new set and monthly recharging.

     

    Agree???

  6. I have the previous Maha charger with conditioner.

     

    I believe my problem is in letting the batteries go dead between trips. I have tried to recharge every 3 months. All were last used in October and charged OK. In going over them now, some are dead and others, as measured by a digital load inducing meter, show 10% or less charge.

    So a new set and monthly recharging.

     

    Agree???

    I agree and I think it is clear that you should think about the low internal discharge type batteries (Eneloop and their cousins) since under load they have far better performance than the higher rated batteries that have nominally higher capacities.

    Bill

  7. I agree and the Eneloops are more forgiving also if you forget/can't get around to doing regular top-ups.

     

     

    One other thing worth noting is, if you are clumsy like me, be very careful when handling the batteries. If

     

    they get dropped on a hard surface the internal lattice is easily damaged. Results in a drastic reduction of

     

    the cells capacity. I learnt this the hard way :)

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  8. I understand the frustration that supposed high quality NiMh batteries can cause.

     

    We run about 80 AA's in our tourist operation that are used for compact camera"s and strobes.

    Ever since we switched to the 2000 Mah Sanyo Eneloops and 8 cell Sanyo chargers all our issues have gone away.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.