Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Purchasing Aquatica housing for S2

Started by karenp ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Purchasing Aquatica housing for S2

14 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    I've decided to purchase the Aquatica housing. I've been looking online but none of the usual suspects come up as dealers. Any suggestions on where I could buy it online from any of you who've already gone this route? Or am I relegated to full retail ;-)

  2. Try B&H. They have them.

  3. You've got mail.

  4. Try calling Blake at Aquatica directly (see www.aquatica.ca for #). He recently sold me a new S2 housing with minor paint blemishes for a considerable discount.

  5. Try calling Blake at Aquatica directly (see www.aquatica.ca for #). He recently sold me a new S2 housing with minor paint blemishes for a considerable discount.

    I second that. I got my D100 housing from Blake. You'll almost certainly pay more to get it directly from Aquatica than from B&H, but Blake can help you get exactly what you need in terms of ports, extenders, etc.

     

    And he's a nice guy too. He can be a bit slow answering emails sometimes, so you might want to phone him instead.

  6. It's interesting to see the B7H list price is about US$1500; less than half the price of the Subal. Is the Subal twice as good? :(

     

    If an Aquatica owner on the list would be so kind as to post a picture of the inside of the housing showing details of how the controls work, I'd be very grateful.

  7. Speaking of B&H, the underwater dude there is trying to get them to raise prices because they are so much lower than everywhere else (but who knows whether the people at the top will listen...). Buy now, if you want the lowest price.

     

    However, UW photo requires quite a bit of upkeep, and having a relationship with a seller is very important. You are going to need something else, eventually, and it's better to be able to call someone up with whom you already have a working a relationship. If they sense a long-term buyer, they may cut you a deal, as well.

  8. Andrew

     

    Where did you see the Aquatica S2 listed on the B&H site? I could not find it.

     

    $1500 may be lower than the Aquatica "Dealer" price.

     

    Chris

  9. Hi Chris! LTNS! How are the "blubbers"?

     

     

    As you can see the CP5000 bit the dust pretty quickly :(

     

    B&H D100

     

    I went to their homepage and searched for "aquatica d100"

  10. Yo Andrew

     

    I think the S2 may actually be a tad higher than the D100.

     

    No Blubber to foto here in the "icy" mountains of Japan (it actually snowed on the mountain about 2000 ft above my home. Yikes!!! Thank god my wife just found a round trip ticket to Guam for $160. Once again I will be diving in gin-clear bath water, while getting comfortable with the S2.

     

    Little chance of whales near Guam in November but hopefully this time, the water will be a bit more blue in the images :( Under exposure hopefully will solve the problem but I need to find a balance that will still retain some detail in the shadows.

  11. If you are anywhere around the Dallas area, I'd say drop Scorpio_Fish a note.

    He certainly helped me out on an Aquatica housing for a D100, both price and advice wise.

     

    Scorpio, hope you don't mind me mentioning your name like this.

     

    Gary

  12. Thanks Gary.

     

    I've shipped to Guam before, too.

     

    I won't get into the B&H pricing issue, but I know how they work. I'm close.

     

    But ask Marriard if he would have gotten his 12-24mm zoom gear in time for his Australian trip if he had ordered it from B&H.

  13. But ask Marriard if he would have gotten his 12-24mm zoom gear in time for his Australian trip if he had ordered it from B&H.

    scorpio-fish makes a great point. Housings aren't mass produced by the millions and sold at every Wal-Mart. Develop a relationship with the manufacturer, and when it's crunch time, they will (hopefully) come through for you.

     

    I don't know about all housing manufacturers, but Aquatica is first rate in their customer service. I imagine that most others are too. The customer base is relatively small (but growing) and happy users are the best advertising they can get.

     

    So yes, I paid a little more by going directly to Aquatica, but Blake has helped me out a couple of times when a dealer maybe wouldn't have been so responsive.

     

    Having said that, I have bought a ton of photographic equipment from B&H, and they are super in every way, but for highly specialized stuff like U/W housings, I would rather go directly to the experts.

     

    :(

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.