Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Light weight gear for travelling.

Started by Chris Yorke ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Light weight gear for travelling.

7 posts
  1. G'Day everyone.

     

    I am thinking of trading in my heavy "wing" BCD for a light weight jacket type BCD such as the cressi-sub travelight BCD. I have also been thinking about the Apex flight Regs. Does anyone have these items and if so "what do you think of them?" Are they any good for UWP? Is the BCD up to the job?

     

    If you have any other ideas with regards to trimming the weight with regards to BCDs and Regs, I would love to hear it.

     

    Thanxs

  2. Thanks for the tip on the Apeks flight. I'm going to try it out. I'd change the hoses to the Miflex braided for even more weight savings.

    I tried the Cressi Travel light. It's very light but made from 400 dernier. The Seac Sub iCaro is about the same weight, back inflated and looks sexier. It's made of 1000 dernier which is better quality. Depends on what you want.

  3. I have a titanium scuba pro regulator and use the travel light Cressi BCD.

     

    I usually like a tech BC with back plate, but the Cressi works very well.

  4. I've had the Scubapro titanium Mk25T/S600T for about 8 years It's excellent and most certainly light weight. Use an air integrated computer rather than a console and you have saved some more weight. I use a Zeagle Escape BC which seems light to me. Full foot fins are generally lighter than open-backs with booties.

     

    So those are all reasonably easy to travel with and light weight. Pity about the 35kgs of cameras, housing, strobes etc....

    :good:

  5. Hi all,

     

    I've done some of the pre release testing on the Flight, and have also owned a Aqualung mikron for some time.

     

    The Flight comes with braided hoses as standard. It is quite a revolutionary design-being almost entirely nylon. It's performance is noticeably superior to the Mikrons, and in fact, within it's design use, as good as the higher performance regs (Scubapro/Apeks etc) that I use every day. This is not designed to be used deep dark and dangerous though! The exhaust valves are better positioned to keep the bubbles away from your face than the Mikrons. It is very light-lighter than anything else out there. I combine it with a hoseless computer and a braided BCD hose and it is unbeleivable!

     

    It's only drawback is the result of some quite elegant engineering. As the second stage is all nylon, Apeks have designed a specific fitting on the hose/second stage. This prevent the use of tools to stop potential damage, but does mean that the hoses are unique. Apeks plan to release a cold water version soon (less than 10 degrees)-should be interesting.

     

    I use an alu backplate, DIR harness and a very light wing-this helps keep the weight of the BCD to a minimum.

     

    Hope that helps

     

    Adam

  6. Thanxs to all those who replyed so far. Those Apexs Flights look very tempting. DAVEPHDV, would you mind letting me now a little more about your experiences with the travelight BCD. From what most people are saying, the way to go is the back plate with wing. I will be looking at that a little more now.

     

    Again, thanxs for input so far. :good:

  7. I really like the the Dive Rite harness/travel wing.

    Ti Regulator. Wireless Computer. etc. The heaviest

    part of my gear is my Extra Force Fins. But I love my fins :)

    It's the camera gear that weighs too much. :good:

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.