Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Are strobes needed for Cocos?

Started by 2 bar ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Are strobes needed for Cocos?

4 posts
  1. First off I am NOT a photographer. I am a diver with a camera. I have an Oly 5050 and a Inon D-2000 strobe. I used this set up in Bonaire a few years ago and haven't used the strobe since. The last few years of diving was on cruises and I carried as little as possible and went without the strobe. There was enough light and my pics were all fine.

     

    Is one strobe good enough? I was thinking possibly not needing one if I were to shoot something large and not close the strobe might not even reach it...unless I had two.

     

    I'm hoping I wouldn't have to buy a 2nd strobe and arms for half decent pics.

  2. Yes, bring a strobe. A powerful one is a good idea. I shot a lot there with only one strobe.

  3. Two strobes wont buy you any distance, just more light at the same distance. You wont have a problem getting close in cocos and will want at least one strobe as you will be in depths of 70-100 feet or more to get to the rocks you hide behind so the sharks come in close. Have a blast and enjoy the crossing!

  4. Thanks. I feel better knowing my one strobe is good enough. Hopefully I use it well.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.