I think at this point this becomes a Nikon vs Canon type argument. I was previously considering switching to LR just because Apple were so tardy on the upgrade and some really needed improvements.
Right now they have come through with an upgrade that fills pretty much every item on my wish list, and a whole bunch more. Now with 3.01 the program appears stable on both my laptop and desktop; downloads with simultaneous backup is essentially as fast initially as Photomechanic, great split project functionality and merging of projects for back and forth transferring from laptop to desktop and visa versa.
Of course curves was missing, now it's there, and expanded non-destructive editing brushes which work as advertised, stackable presets (very cool) Incorporation of video and sound and places are useful features that I never knew I needed, now will become indispensable. Faces I have no use for at present so it's turned off. Exporting for external editing with any color space (Prophoto was needed)
xmp export functionality now available, but I no longer need as I no longer feel a need to switch. (Can do full xmp with a script if needed).
So, it's fast, seems stable, and does everything I want and more.
I'm sure LR folks feel the same, I think the important thing is that just as in the Nikon vs Canon argument, there are probably no longer any major reasons to switch either way. For someone starting out and trying to choose, I'd say try both and see which one you prefer to use before committing. I originally chose Aperture because I preferred the interface. Unless of course one wants to keep video clips in their program.
Funny I have heard that as a reason to switch to Canon.
As an aside, I've read that Apple quickly removed some options in their iPad / iPod developer pack regarding camera functionality, which indicates to me there may be some future camera / downloading / iPad / Aperture integation coming down the pike for the iPad. Always want something more.
Check out Places - pretty cool, you can find images by clicking on a place etc
