Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

S&S Optical Dome & Nauticam?

Started by bkkchriss4 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

S&S Optical Dome & Nauticam?

6 posts
  1. I just got a good deal on a S&S Optical Dome. I am planning on using it with my Nauticam housing.

     

    I have the port adaptor but wanted to know if I need any sort of extension ring with the Tokina 10-17?

     

    I know Nauticam recommends none with their own 8.5" dome, but the S&S Optical is a 7.xx" dome I believe?

     

    Anyone have any experience with this yet???

     

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

  2. You do need an extension, which works out well in this situation.

     

    You can not convert a Sea & Sea optical dome to a Nauticam Mount because the bayonet ears are actually part of the base of the port. We also encounter this problem with the Athena 105VR Flat Ports we've sold very well over past couple of years. The Nauticam Sea & Sea "adapter" isn't really an adapter. The o-ring sealing geometry is identical on both Sea & Sea and Nauticam housings, but the baynoet ears are actually different. To convert a Sea & Sea port (or extension ring) to Nauticam, you remove this bayonet part, and replace it with the Nauticam part.

     

    An SX Extension Ring is perfect for 10-17, and is compatible with the Nauticam bayonet ring.

     

    p_43.JPG

    Edited by Ryan
  3. So if I am correct...

     

    I need the Sea & Sea Nauticam port adaptor (which I have on order with you already!) and thats it?

     

    Or do I need a Nauticam extension ring in addition to the port adaptor, to get proper optics and whatnot...?

     

     

     

    You do need an extension, which works out well in this situation.

     

    You can not convert a Sea & Sea optical dome to a Nauticam Mount because the bayonet ears are actually part of the base of the port. We also encounter this problem with the Athena 105VR Flat Ports we've sold very well over past couple of years. The Nauticam Sea & Sea "adapter" isn't really an adapter. The o-ring sealing geometry is identical on both Sea & Sea and Nauticam housings, but the baynoet ears are actually different. To convert a Sea & Sea port (or extension ring) to Nauticam, you remove this bayonet part, and replace it with the Nauticam part.

     

    An SX Extension Ring is perfect for 10-17, and is compatible with the Nauticam bayonet ring.

     

    p_43.JPG

  4. Yup, what he says. That's how I shoot mine. Excellent combo.

     

    Jack

  5. Ok, pardon my confusion.

     

    I have the Optical Dome port only right now.

     

    What do I need to buy for the best combo with that port.

     

    JUST the S&S SX extension - which will work on the Nauticam housing locking mechanism?

     

    JUST the Nauticam S&S port adaptor?

     

    Or BOTH?

     

    Thanks for the help!!!

  6. Both.

     

    Jack

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.