Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best AutoFocus on P&S Digi

Started by derway ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Best AutoFocus on P&S Digi

2 posts
  1. A couple of years back, I switched from an old housed film SLR, (n90s in ikelite), to try a P&S digi. I got a canon G3 in an ike housing.

     

    So many things to love about it. The picture quality is fine, the exposure is good, the immediate feedback of the image and histogram is great, the small size and weight is wonderful.

     

    But the auto focus sucks. In fact, I haven't even wanted to use it, since missing one of the best shots of my life, in a quite bright, clear, high contrast situation, but moving subject, and waiting for 3 or 4 seconds, while the stupid camera refused to focus, and refused to focus, while my subject went slowly bye-bye.

     

    Is there any P&S digi yet, that has dramatically better auto focus?

     

    Anyone able to do any comparisons?

     

    Thanks,

    Don

  2. Camera's that will let you select the focus point are generally better. The Nikon Coolpix series has had this for years. The Olympus series x0x0's have just added this with the 5050 I believe.

     

    I was always pretty happy with the AF on my Coolpix 990

     

    With that said, with the dramatic DOF on consumer digicams, you can also preset the focus in manual if you are shooting wideangle - perhaps set it to 1'

     

    Cheers

    James

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.