Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Underwater Photo Books

Started by WanderingBob ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater Photo Books

9 posts
  1. I have given up on Martin Edge's 4th edition as I leave for Honduras on the 23rd of this month. I ordered the 3rd edition :good: .

     

    I am looking for a book that discusses macro photography and strobes a bit.

     

    I shot my rig (Subal ND-30) last year at the surface with available light with humpies in Tonga, then made a couple of shark dives in Fiji on the way home with a single Nikonos SB-105. I'd like to improve my keepers so I ordered a couple of Ikie DS-160's.

     

    I have also added another twist to my arsenal in buying a Nikon 105VR with a macro port.

     

    I have little idea where to start!

     

    SO ... I there another book or website anyone would suggest to study up a bit to improve my learning curve?

     

    Thanks again, so much.

  2. Bob,

    The third edition will take you a very long way to your treasure. The tried and true way is to get in a pool with your gear and an old sea shell and try it. Start with your strobes as Martin shows them then play with turning one down a couple of clicks. If you want to get another leg up, try this. Go to the Wetpixel Flickr group and do a search among the 28,000 images for Macro, Nikon. This will get you a shorter list of images, most taken with the 105mm. Find a couple of images you really like and click on the "more properties" button (They don't all allow it but enough do to make it worthwhile) There will be the settings that the photographer used in that situation on that day with that camera. I'm not suggesting you try to copy the images but if you spend just a few minutes you'll start to see the trends and you can relate the camera settings to the images visually. Here's one our buddy Thomas made for example;

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasvignaud...pool-993665@N22

     

    Whoops that a Canon, :good: but you get the idea. Even understanding the camera settings you're going to have to dial in those new strobes. Set the camera up ISO 200, f/16, 1/250 or so and dial the strobes to about half power. Find a rock you can't blind and take a picture of it the appropriate distance away from what would be your subject. Check out your histogram and dial the stobes up or down to get the exposure like you want it. Shoot RAW. It's very easy to try this in a pool before you head out on your trip if you have time. That way when you hit the water in Honduras and you see that yellow seahorse you'll be ready.

     

    Good luck,

    Steve

  3.  

    After I posted this I loked down. DOH! I have been reading that site since my post, what great info!

     

    I guess I should feel silly, but I don't. I am still looking for hard copy to take with me, so I suppose the Martin's 3rd edition should kep me busy? Any book someone would recommend for macro U/W?

     

    Thanks CompuDude!

  4. Bob,

    The third edition will take you a very long way to your treasure. The tried and true way is to get in a pool with your gear and an old sea shell and try it. Start with your strobes as Martin shows them then play with turning one down a couple of clicks. If you want to get another leg up, try this. Go to the Wetpixel Flickr group and do a search among the 28,000 images for Macro, Nikon. This will get you a shorter list of images, most taken with the 105mm. Find a couple of images you really like and click on the "more properties" button (They don't all allow it but enough do to make it worthwhile) There will be the settings that the photographer used in that situation on that day with that camera. I'm not suggesting you try to copy the images but if you spend just a few minutes you'll start to see the trends and you can relate the camera settings to the images visually. Here's one our buddy Thomas made for example;

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasvignaud...pool-993665@N22

     

    Whoops that a Canon, :good: but you get the idea. Even understanding the camera settings you're going to have to dial in those new strobes. Set the camera up ISO 200, f/16, 1/250 or so and dial the strobes to about half power. Find a rock you can't blind and take a picture of it the appropriate distance away from what would be your subject. Check out your histogram and dial the stobes up or down to get the exposure like you want it. Shoot RAW. It's very easy to try this in a pool before you head out on your trip if you have time. That way when you hit the water in Honduras and you see that yellow seahorse you'll be ready.

     

    Good luck,

    Steve

     

    Awesome Steve. That's a good start! As I have no scuba gear up here, I'll give her a go in the shallow end of the pool, if they let me. If not, I'll play where I can.

     

    Looks like Martin's 3rd edition and this website (http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/) should keep me busy for a long time!

     

    I love this site!

     

    Bob

  5. I guess I should feel silly, but I don't. I am still looking for hard copy to take with me, so I suppose the Martin's 3rd edition should kep me busy? Any book someone would recommend for macro U/W?

     

    Thanks CompuDude!

     

    I thought Martin's 3rd edition was very good for macro and wide-angle.

     

    Scott

  6. I thought Martin's 3rd edition was very good for macro and wide-angle.

     

    Scott

     

    I haven't seen Martin's book yet Scott, but I sure am enjoying your website. Thanks so much for all that hard work you have done! I am not sure how good the Internet will be where I'm staying in Honduras, but it sure seems nice to have a reference like this available 24/7.

  7. I ordered the 3rd edition :D .

     

    I am looking for a book that discusses macro photography and strobes a bit.

     

    see page 246 for close up and macro

    see page 225 for strobes

    Furthermore the strobe chapter is titled "Using flash underwater - a new approach to an old technique"

     

    I think you will find the third edition quite useful :P

  8. see page 246 for close up and macro

    see page 225 for strobes

    Furthermore the strobe chapter is titled "Using flash underwater - a new approach to an old technique"

     

    I think you will find the third edition quite useful :P

     

    Thanks again Tom. I anxiously await it's arrival. M trip is slipping up on me quick ... I leave in a couple of weeks.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.