Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which Canon 100mm Lens and Teleconverters?

Started by RedSeaDiver ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Canon 100mm Lens and Teleconverters?

15 posts
  1. After being a Nikon guy all of my life I must admit to being a little lost when it comes to selecting Canon gear so any help would be appreciated!

     

    There seems to be two different Canon 100mm macro lenses - which one is the best one for underwater? the CANON 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens or the CANON 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens?

     

    Which teleconverters (if any) will autofocus with them and will they also work on a 10-17 fisheye on a 7D?

  2. Both are great lenses. If you're not going to use teleconverters with it the new IS version would be the go. I've read a few reports of the IS version not working with teleconverters so if you're planning on using a teleconverter the non-IS version (what I have) is the go.

     

    I use a Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 with both my 100 macro and 10-17 and have no problems with auto-focus other than it is a tad slower in dim light. I also occasionally use a 2X teleconverter with the 100 but auto focus is challenge at any time.

  3. I use a Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 with both my 100 macro and 10-17 and have no problems with auto-focus other than it is a tad slower in dim light.

     

    Same as that

     

    Stew

  4. Many thanks guys. I'm still tossing up whether to use teleconverters on the macro lenses again or switch to use wet diopters for added versatility during a dive - Keri Wilks new diopters look interesting

  5. if the IS does indeed cause problems with a teleconverter surely you can just turn it off when using a teleconverter.

     

    I would be interested to know if there really are problems combining the two as I had been considering upgrading to te IS version.

  6. I've just been doing some more checking and the IS version takes a 68mm filter but Canon don't appear to make a 68mm 500D close up lens so I'm now thinking of going with the non-IS version as that takes a 58mm filter and there is a 58mm 500D close up lens available.

  7. On a topside forum that I read, I have read that it makes a difference which way you add the 1.4. If you fit it to the body then add the lens you will have issues, if you add the 1.4 to the lens and then fit it to the body you wont. I dont know if this works as i dont have any gear with me.

     

    Stew

  8. On a topside forum that I read, I have read that it makes a difference which way you add the 1.4. If you fit it to the body then add the lens you will have issues, if you add the 1.4 to the lens and then fit it to the body you wont. I dont know if this works as i dont have any gear with me.

     

    Stew

    It gets weirder and weirder! I'm thinking that only being able to get a 500D close up lens for the older version might be deal clincher for me. If the dedicated ports have enough room to put the 500D in without needing extensions that would be nice.

  9. If the dedicated ports have enough room to put the 500D in without needing extensions that would be nice.
    There is enough room with the recommended Subal port for the non-IS version of the lens for the 500D close-up lens.
  10. It gets weirder and weirder! I'm thinking that only being able to get a 500D close up lens for the older version might be deal clincher for me. If the dedicated ports have enough room to put the 500D in without needing extensions that would be nice.

     

    I decided to get the 72mm 500D which was the largest diameter I ever expected to need. I added a few el cheapo step up rings so I can fit the diopter to smaller diameter lenses. That way I only needed to buy and transport one diopter.

     

    Bart

  11. Many thanks guys. I'm still tossing up whether to use teleconverters on the macro lenses again or switch to use wet diopters for added versatility during a dive - Keri Wilks new diopters look interesting

     

    I've dove extensive with the 60mm + 1.4x tele (great at night), and the 105mm + subsee wet diopter (good with clear water and no surge). I enjoy both setups and get different results with each, I'd try out both if you have both macro lenses.

     

    good luck,

    Scott

  12. I've dove extensive with the 60mm + 1.4x tele (great at night), and the 105mm + subsee wet diopter (good with clear water and no surge). I enjoy both setups and get different results with each, I'd try out both if you have both macro lenses.

    Many thanks for your reply Scott. I will probably only have 1 macro lens to keep the weight manageable for travel and to keep things simpler. When I was shooting Nikon I always used the 105 and so I will be getting a 100 for the Canon. I tend not to do a lot of night diving anyway - I'm not as young as I used to be! I think I may leave the decisions on supermacro gear for a little while and just use the 100mm with a 500D closeup lens.

    Edited by RedSeaDiver
  13. I've dove extensive with the 60mm + 1.4x tele

     

    Don't forget the Canon EF-S 60mm won't work with a tele.

  14. Don't forget the Canon EF-S 60mm won't work with a tele.

    Unless you add an extension tube. Then it works fine but no infinity focus of course.

    Bill

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.