Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Strobe Choices

Started by JohnRLewis ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe Choices

4 posts
  1. I'm saving up cash for a Nikon D100 setup, researching while I wait.

     

    I can't decide on what stobe setup to get.

     

    Do I house the SB-80dx? Or do I get something like the Ikelite DS-125? I am leaning towards the latter, because I've heard that the dTTL does not work that well underwater anyway, and that I should just learn to use manual power settings.

     

    I plan to do both macro and wide angle.

     

    If I were to get a single DS-125 with manual controller would that be sufficient for a while?

  2. Personally, I wouldn't waste money and space on housing an SB80DX. While it may work well for macro, it is too limiting. If you ever get into wide angle, you will need another strobe setup, as the SB80DX is not up to the task.

     

    A single DS125 will cover most wide angle needs. Two is better. You will have to practice your aiming skills. The manual controller is nice. I would like to have it for macro work, where I find minute shifts in strobe to subject distance can more easily cause improper strobe output for the scene. I don't lust after it as much with wide angle.

  3. DTTL does work well underwater. But most of the time you don't need it! I use an SB80DX, and will continue to, but I would also recommend that 1 or 2 UW strobes are a more flexible purchase allowing you to shoot both macro and wide angle.

  4. Thank you all for the replies, it was very kind.

    I have more questions on the most flexible set-up but I will put them on a separate thread.

     

    Jorge

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.