Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Recent advances in scientific diving?

Started by ColinMunro ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Recent advances in scientific diving?

6 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    I'm currently in the process of updating a chapter on scientific diving techniiques for an academic book on marine survey methods. It was last written 4-5 years ago so i'm aware there will be new developments in that time, many of which will have escaped me. Nowhere will that be more true than in the world of underwater imaging. Now I know that the wetpixel community contains a great diversity of expertise and experience, so I'm hoping to draw on some of that knowledge. I'm specifically looking for links or info about new survey techniques being used, new technology and equipment being adopted for scientific work (rebreathers, HUDs, communications, new diver-operated sampling devices etc), new uses of underwater imaging, especially HD systems. Links to published papers are especially useful.

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Colin

  2. Check out the aaus.org

  3. Check out the aaus.org

     

    Thanks Tom

     

    I will

  4. Hi Colin,

     

    You're probably already aware, but digital video is now being used quite successfully for fixed transects in coral areas to monitor changes in substrate cover- e.g.

    http://www.aims.gov.au/docs/research/monit...benthic-surveys

     

    Fergus

     

    Hi fergus

     

    I am, and aware that AIMS have being doing a lot in this area, but of course things have moved on a lot in the past five years, with equipment changing from analogue>SD>HD. So its good to get links to recent studies.

     

    Cheers

     

    Colin

  5. Hi all

     

    I'm currently in the process of updating a chapter on scientific diving techniiques for an academic book on marine survey methods. It was last written 4-5 years ago so i'm aware there will be new developments in that time, many of which will have escaped me. Nowhere will that be more true than in the world of underwater imaging. Now I know that the wetpixel community contains a great diversity of expertise and experience, so I'm hoping to draw on some of that knowledge. I'm specifically looking for links or info about new survey techniques being used, new technology and equipment being adopted for scientific work (rebreathers, HUDs, communications, new diver-operated sampling devices etc), new uses of underwater imaging, especially HD systems. Links to published papers are especially useful.

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Colin

    http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/proceedings/files/m16-05.pdf

    for some recent (2008, I think) comparisons from Woods Hole.

    Bill

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.