Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What's that Shrimp?

Started by serge ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

What's that Shrimp?

8 posts
  1. Does anyone know, how this shrimp is called? The Eyes, Bodyshape and its small arms in the front remind me a lot of Harlequin and tiger shrimp. So i think it should be somehow related with them. But i cannot find it (or anything similar) in my shrimp book. I found it here in Lembeh in 18 Meters depth in a rope with sponges. It is maybe 3mm long ... so quite small.

     

    It moves a little bit like a tigershrimp and after shooting in went back in the sponge.

     

    Anybody a idea? For the time being i will call it "Mandarin Shrimp" ... as the colour paters looks a little like a Mandarin Fish.

     

     

    Greets, Serge

    post-5531-1265428455.jpg

    Edited by serge
  2. Hey Serge!

     

    I've seen these on hydroids. I think it's a Periclimenes galene. Clear body, very long arms - and a black or red "thread" running the length of the body.

  3. It is a relative -- Phyllognathia simplex - and it eats brittle stars. Not many people have seen it but I doubt it's rare, just small & well camouflaged. Most of the body is spotted like the sand it lives on & there's characteristic blue & yellow rings on the body. Here's another pic (3/4 down the page) http://www.kazkian.com/z/manboon/cat7/cat16/

     

    Are you seeing another picture than I am Tim? :- D

    Edited by Leslie
  4. Are you seeing another picture than I am Tim? :- D

     

    Seems like. Or he is drunk ... Tim, if you are having beers in daytime you should invite me over :P

     

     

    Thank's a lot for the quick ID Leslie.

  5. Sheesh! What can I say, that light can be deceiving this side of Lembeh....... :P

     

    Well done Leslie.....

     

    Can I go and crawl away now???

  6. LOL! Hey, I've just looked at this yet again - and thought there was a shrimp sitting on the stripey thing! Doh!

    Guess I have been here too long.....

     

    :P

  7. I found one in Manado.

     

    [flickrvideo]6870457764[/flickrvideo]

  8. Nice one! Interesting movement - I can't tell if it's grooming itself or feeding off the algae.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.