Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can you save to jpeg in 16 bit?

Started by scorpio_fish ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Can you save to jpeg in 16 bit?

8 posts
  1. Ocean Views contest says to submit jpegs. Then it says they prefer 16 bit. I don't see jpg as an option when I "save as" while still in 16 bit. I feel so ignorant. My downsize/copyright/save as jpeg action has always included image mode to 8 bit. I have been doing it wrong all this time?

  2. You need to upgrade to Photoshop CS 3 or CS 4 in order to be able to save your jpegs at 16bit

  3. You need to upgrade to Photoshop CS 3 or CS 4 in order to be able to save your jpegs at 16bit

     

     

    Hmmm, I have CS4

  4. I'm in the same boat George - thought I'd be able to do a 16-bit jpeg upon export out of Aperture. No worries - 8 bit is "acceptable" for Ocean Views.

     

    Phil

  5. Regular old jpegs are 8-bit by definition ... there is something called jpeg2000 that supports 16-bit and all kinds of other stuff, but it isn't widely used ...

     

    TIF files and PSD files can be 16-BIT but not regular old JPEGs.

  6. OK, I'm not completely crazy. Just odd they require jpegs and request 16 bit.

  7. Also odd that they would request 16 bit at all. No reason to request 16 bit if the object is to use the images purely for display. Simply means larger files, with no other advantage unless they were planning further manipulation of the images.

    Edited by loftus
  8. This is EXACTLY what I love about this forum...I've been wondering about that very thing for months and now, here is the answer! :P

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.