Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1 Housing

Started by A.Y. ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1 Housing

19 posts
  1. FYI, OLYMPUS just announced this new waterproof housing for the new PEN E-PL1 and ED 9–18mm f4.0–5.6 lens (18-36mm FOV) - $ 1,900 camera, housing, + lens. Finally, a dSLR setup that is lighter and smaller than a traditional system, and won't break my bank... =)

     

    http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2010...0203ptep01e.cfm

  2. FYI, OLYMPUS just announced this new waterproof housing for the new PEN E-PL1 and ED 9–18mm f4.0–5.6 lens (18-36mm FOV) - $ 1,900 camera, housing, + lens. Finally, a dSLR setup that is lighter and smaller than a traditional system, and won't break my bank... =)

     

    http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2010...0203ptep01e.cfm

     

    Actually it is not a DSLR, it is a "rangefinder" with interchangeable lenses. There's a thread in the consumer digicam forum already discussing this development.

     

    Mike

  3. Actually it is not a DSLR, it is a "rangefinder" with interchangeable lenses. There's a thread in the consumer digicam forum already discussing this development.

     

    Mike

    It is cettainly not a lens reflex camera (no mirror. no prism). With an electrionic view finder, I would not classify it as a range finder either.

    Bob

  4. It is cettainly not a lens reflex camera (no mirror. no prism). With an electrionic view finder, I would not classify it as a range finder either.

    Bob

     

    Maybe the official name for this new type of camera is: Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC) :P

     

    No matter what it is called, it's bringing much excitment to someone like myself who really enjoy underwater photography and videography, but just cannot justify the cost of a dSLR system yet. :D

  5. 600$ housing. Very light.

     

    Has a fixed flat port though. I wonder what the edge sharpness at 9 mm will be?

  6. E-Systems Micro Four Thirds is Olympus's designator. ie, not digital point and shoot and E-systems also covers their DSLRs.

    I think the cool thing is that it has the same sensor as the E620. The electronic viewfinder is pretty cheap and I'm thinking it will improve performance. I've put all the specs and photos I could find up on the store.

     

    Looking forward to playing and learning more at PMA!

     

    Jack

  7. It is cettainly not a lens reflex camera (no mirror. no prism). With an electrionic view finder, I would not classify it as a range finder either.

    Bob

     

    Most people who use reflex cameras don't use them because the mirror and prism add so much to the quality of the photos. I've never looked at a published photo and thought, "Wow, that must have been taken on a camera with a really high quality prism!"

     

    What's important about reflex cameras is the quality of the photos, which is due to better sensors and better lenses. The mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (both micro-four-thirds and the Samsung version with an APS-C size sensor) share sensor formats with low-end dSLRs, and I expect the quality of the 9-18mm lens to be closer to that of an SLR lens than to the lens on a compact digicam. What is important to photographers is not the details of the prism and of the mirror, but the issues around large sensors and interchangeable lenses. That's why I think discussions of mirrorless cameras belong in the SLR section, even though they technically are not SLRs.

  8. Another thing that is important to photographers (well, important to me, anyway -- I won't speak for all photographers :P ) is shutter lag. So another reason people use DSLRs is because the presentation of the scene to the user is optical, and therefore you don't have the shutter lag associated with the use of the LCD for framing. Just Google "Olympus E-P1" or "Olympus E-P2" and "shutter lag". While there are some outliers, the general feel seems to be that there are performance questions.

     

    Mike

    Edited by MikeO
  9. So another reason people use DSLRs is because the presentation of the scene to the user is optical, and therefore you don't have the shutter lag associated with the use of the LCD for framing.

     

    I'm going to suggest that we use an acronym for mirrorless cameras like the E-PL1 with interchangeable lenses: EVIL, for Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens. Personally, I believe that EVIL cameras belong in the dSLR forum, because most posts are about lenses and ports, not viewfinders. I agree that the viewfinder issues are different between EVIL cameras and SLR cameras.

     

    I do not agree about the LCD lag on the E-P1. I can wave my hand in front of my E-P1, and not see a difference between the movements of my hand and the movement on the LCD screen. Modern electronics are FAST, and pushing a few electrons around an LCD screen doesn't take a whole lot of time. As for shutter lag, I have a Nikon D90 that I can compare to my E-P1. Using manual focus, I don't see a difference in shutter lag between the two bodies (using live view on the E-P1 and the viewfinder on the D90). I'm sure I could come up with an experiment to measure the shutter lag with falling pieces of wood and simultaneous triggers to measure a few milliseconds difference in a lab, but that isn't going to matter in the field. This only applies when using manual focus, though; the E-P1 has truly AWFUL focus lag, which is probably where most of the online complaints come from.

     

    I don't mind the focus lag on the E-P1 because I shoot mostly in manual focus. My underwater images are even more likely to be manual focus, because I don't trust autofocus for macro images (too many shots ruined because the camera decided to focus on the coral instead of the blenny) and I don't need autofocus with the depth of field of fisheye or wideangle images. I spend enough time setting up the aperture, shutter speed, strobe position, strobe power, etc. that adding manual focus isn't much added work, and it's better than repeating shots because the autofocus did something silly.

  10. I believe Mike is referring to the "shutter lag" between the time when you press the shutter button until the image is taken. If it's longer than a certain amount (varies by person) then it gets REALLY annoying and sometimes you don't get the shot you envisioned or saw through the viewfinder.

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. I believe Mike is referring to the "shutter lag" between the time when you press the shutter button until the image is taken. If it's longer than a certain amount (varies by person) then it gets REALLY annoying and sometimes you don't get the shot you envisioned or saw through the viewfinder.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Maybe I wasn't clear-- the shutter lag on the E-P1 is caused by the autofocus. You can get rid of the shutter lag, or at least change it to SLR levels, if you use manual focus (just like on an SLR, you manually focus an E-P1 by turning a ring on the lens).

  12. I'm going to suggest that we use an acronym for mirrorless cameras like the E-PL1 with interchangeable lenses: EVIL, for Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens. Personally, I believe that EVIL cameras belong in the dSLR forum, because most posts are about lenses and ports, not viewfinders. I agree that the viewfinder issues are different between EVIL cameras and SLR cameras.

    With Samsung's APS-C size sensor and mirror-less system, the using of variations of micro four thirds abbrevations need to be shelved. EVIL was proposed a year and a half ago on DP review. EVIL works for me. Can it jump the Grand Canyon on a scooter?

    Bob

  13. There are two kinds of shutter lag that are usually measured davelew: one where the shuter is half pressed to achieve autofocus, then a shot is taken, and a second where the button is fully pressed, the camera autofocuses, then takes the shot.

     

    It's usually the former we are interested in because most people that have been shooting for longer than 2 weeks use the "half press" technique :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Although that's not good news about the Pen's autofocus system though :-(

  14. I dont think the main separator between this and compact forums is shutter lag. Is is a difference but would be a bit like saying it belongs in the other forum due to size differences, because its closer in size to a compact than a DSLR. It might be true but feels a bit arbitrary.

     

    Given a choice between compact and DSLR, rather than their own forum, they make more sense viewed as a DSLR in my view, given the ports and lens choices that compact owners dont have to ask after, and their design origin as altered DSLR designs (originating from 4/3's) with similar sensors rather than as built up compacts. The financial outlay is more similar to DSLR than compact too.

     

    On the other hand they'd miss out on all the complaints about trying to get your eye up to the viewfinder on a standard housing eyepiece.

     

    Otara

  15. I like the EVIL designation, that really covers what these new cameras are.

    Lag for whatever reason is a significant difference between compact P&S cameras and DSLRS.

  16. Canon T2i + EF-S 10-22mm + Ikelite housing & port (T1i prices) = $3,368 (Amazon prices)

    Olympus E-PL1 + 9-18mm + Olympus housing & port = $1,900 (MSRP so street prices will be lower)

     

    The intended use for us is taking family water-sports photos AND HD videos (a must) so the new Olympus is priced and sized perfectly for our needs. I can't wait to handle the camera in person and read the reviews. Being able to shoot raw and HD videos with a dSLR-sized sensor will be sweet. This will be such a huge step up from our Canon P&S with a Canon housing.

     

    BTW, all manufacturers group Mirror-less Interchangeable Len Cameras with their dSLR line, FWIW. :drink:

  17. "EVIL" cameras are appropriately grouped with other interchangeable lens cameras and are not a point and shoot. In a few years these will surpass traditional dSLRs both in performance and speed leaving only the most die hard and high end photogs with mirror slappers, kinda sorta like film guys. Change is coming and the change is no mirror.

     

    I have shot the EP-1 and the "lag" is much exaggerated, in a few more generations these cameras will exceed SLRs in speed because electrons can move faster than mirrors.

    Edited by crawdad
  18. A.Y. - I don't think that's an apples to apples comparison. I can tell you with 100% certainty that because you'll be shooting through a flat port, the photos will not look good at 9mm. The photos from the Canon at 10mm will look excellent though (as I have seen firsthand).

     

    FWIW you could get a Canon 400D + Ikelite housing for less than the Olympus and get good to better results - but no HD video.

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
  19. "EVIL" cameras are appropriately grouped with other interchangeable lens cameras and are not a point and shoot. In a few years these will surpass traditional dSLRs both in performance and speed leaving only the most die hard and high end photogs with mirror slappers, kinda sorta like film guys. Change is coming and the change is no mirror.

     

    I have shot the EP-1 and the "lag" is much exaggerated, in a few more generations these cameras will exceed SLRs in speed because electrons can move faster than mirrors.

     

    IMO, the shutter lag is NOT exaggerated. They're ok in pre-focus mode; in any other mode, they're a pain...

     

    for confirmation, look also , e.g.:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1A6.HTM

    Edited by The Fine Print
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.