My owners manual for my Aquatica D2x housing recommends an 18453 extension for use with my 18405 8" dome port, the website recommends an 18456 (although the 18453 is recommended for the mega dome). Which is correct? and what are the implications of using a slightly longer extension like the 18453 if I dont want to buy yet another port extension- I already have 3 I dont use.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Aquatica Port Extension Question
Started by eric black ·
- 9Posts
- 9Replies
Read-only discussion
Aquatica Port Extension Question
-
-
Hi Eric,
Check out the new port finder on the brand new Backscatter website. Very cool implementation.
It's here, middle of the page. "Port and lens finder" http://www.backscatter.com/
Steve
-
Thanks Steve- I looked there and just got even more confused. For the 10-20mm Sigma and a mega dome they recommend the 18453 that I already have, for th. e 8 " dome which is the one I am interested in, the recommendation changes to the 18456 and then for the 9.25"megadome, it changes to the 18453 again. It looks to me like there is a typo on the aquatica website that is being copied again on the backscatter website. When I look at other lenses, the recommendations seem to hold up through the entire series of domes. What gives here? I really dont want to buy another extension if I dont need one.
-
You could give Backscatter a call if you're in the US, they are always a bunch of help. Or I'll bet Jean from Aquatica will jump in when he sees the question.
Good luck,
Steve
-
If you have a 18453, use that one, I did some testing and the 18453 is well behaved behind the 8" dome port with the Sigma 10-20mm.
The chart on the web sites are always the latest up to date, so it is good to check once in a while to see about new lenses additions.
-
Thanks Jean- I also have an 18455 which I pulled out a storage drawer (forgot I even had it) It is half way between the 453 and the 456 so I might run some tests using it as well on my next trip.
-
Yep, both 18455 & 18453 will do the trick, not enough to make a noticeable difference, wow, 18455 huh, you nust have had a N90s or F5 film housing somewhere down the line. you are dating yourself

-
Ive had both an N90s and an F5 housing and if we really want to go down memory lane started with a Nikonos III and there was a Nikonos V inbetween the III and the housings!
-
Ditto here, throw a Canon F1 in a housing in there, a few N8008's couple of N90s and every Digital Nikon you can think of (including a Nikon E2, but that was left dry).