Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Tippping on Liveaboards

Started by davephdv ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Tippping on Liveaboards

7 posts
  1. I'm going out on a liveaboard soon. Their literature says that a 15% tip is customary. I have usually tipped around 10%. Every time I go on a liveaboard a discussion about this comes up. Usually we agree that 10% is good and some consider it generous. What do you all think?? Also do you think it ethical by the company to name an amount and would you feel obligated to meet it if the service was adequate? good?

     

    Thanks.

  2. To thy own self be true...

     

    Tip what you feel is right. Ignore this sort of hand-out approach, it's the boat's guilty way of getting you to pay their crew instead of them. 10% is very fair.

     

    I really just see how it goes, how much service I get and what the overall experience is like. You do have to keep in mind that the tip covers 3 meals a day, maid service, guide service, equipment help, etc. I sometimes give a guide my extra film or batteries, maybe take along a couple of cool t-shirts or hats to give them. Lots of times that goes over pretty well.

     

    Jack

  3. I think 15 is a little over the top, and I think its wrong for the operator to make the suggestion. We tip 10 percent for good service. I've only tipped less once, but that's a long story. If a particular member of the crew goes above and beyond, I usually slip them a little something extra.

  4. On a related topic, some boats here in Southeast Asia which carry both local and expat crew (divemasters) have instituted a dual tipping system, with one tip divided among the (local) crew aboard, and a separate tip for the expat divemasters.

     

    In the case I'm thinking about, there was strong encouragement to participate in tipping the local crew, while the DM tip was presented as being optional.

     

    I guess I see the logic, people coming out of very different economies etc. etc., and as a practical matter, I can see that it takes more money to attract expats to this work (even if it isn't much compared to "real" jobs), and I liked that there was explicit encouragement to tip the local crew, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the double standard.

  5. As a working dive instructor/guide tip is always appreciated, especially when you have really put in an extra effort to make the experience as good as possible. It is custom in many countries (with the companies) that you tip the local crew and not the dive crew. When I was working in Thailand I made about 15 dollars for 4 days of diving and never recieved any tip. I don't know what the local crew made but they sure made more than 15 bucks just in tip. Nothing that bothered me since I was there to have a good time while they are supporting their family. But what I would like to say is that if you have had one or two guides that have really made a difference to your experience (great knowledge of divesites, photo opportunities etc) I would suggest you tip them personally. It doesn't have to be a lot just something to show that you apprecieted them. I rather recieve a small personal tip than a big tip handed to me from a jar, but maybe that's just me... :D

     

    Kind regards

    /Stefan

  6. Personally, I believe that the boats should charge the appropriate rate for the charter to adequately compensate the crew. Than tips should be given individually for extraordinary service. As is, I just add 10% automatically when I book the trip. I consider it a part of the charter cost that the fleet is to cheap to bill you for.

     

    Then if I hate the service, which I never have, I cut or eliminate the trip. If it is outstanding service, I will add to it, which I usually do. The sad thing is, that every ship I have ever been on prohibits individual tipping. How many of us have given a nice tip to the boat, but would have loved to do more for that one person that really sttod out for us personally?

     

    One last comment, I went on one ship where it was actually suggested that tips should be 20%. That to me is a bit excessive for a $2,500 trip.

  7. Hello,

     

    Here is my take on the tiping techniques.

    First, tiping is optional and it has been instated as a must lately.

    WHY?

    As one of you guys said. That should be included in the trip cost.

     

    I think the divemasters that are doing this just for fun should not be tipped. Well ... you are doing this for fun right! For the divemasters that are doing this for a living ... they should be paid by the employing company and not wait for us to tip them. "Oh the pour guys are paid close to nothing" ... well, change job. But they don't know to do anything else. Sorry, grow stronger!

     

    I am a divemaster/assistant instructor and I don't even charge the shop I do this for. I am doing it for fun!

     

    Vlad

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.