Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

wide angle lenses for shooting models underwater

Started by Cal ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

wide angle lenses for shooting models underwater

7 posts
  1. Hey crew,

     

    I have a few questions about WA lenses for models

     

    Q1) How would a 12-24mm nikon go for shooting models? does it distort around the edges? will it allow me to shoot close up face shots without a fisheye affect?

     

    At the momment I have a d80 with a 10-17mm tokina which I have trouble doing closeups with due to the fisheye affect.

     

    Q2) (unrelated) What would be the best wide angle lens (with good close focus) for a d700 full frame?

     

     

     

    I'm trying to figure out whether to upgrade and if so, to a d90 or to a d700.

     

    Thanks!!!

     

    Cal

    Edited by Cal
  2. How about the 11-16 (rectilinear) Tokina.

    Edited by Balrog
  3. I don't know much about underwater fashion photography. But maybe contacting Aaron Wong for some advice might help (assuming you have not met or talked to him yet). http://www.aaronsphotocraft.com/underwater.html

  4. I prefer the 17-35 to the 12-24, works well on DX and FX though 12-24 will definitely work. Need a diopter on both lenses. A 16mm with 1.4 TC also works well cutting the fisheye distortion. You could try adding a 1.4TC to your 10-17 to get the general idea without springing for a 16mm. I've used it, only complaint is it's a little dark when I shoot in the evening due to the TC light loss. Still focuses OK though.

    I prefer the 16 or 17mm fisheye with TC distortion to rectilinear wide angle distortion at the periphery of the frame if legs or arms are included. My choice would be 17-35 for real close portraits, 16mm with TC for a little further back.

    You may be able to find a good deal on a 17-35 now that the 16-35 has been released.

    Edited by loftus
  5. Right - what he said. I use the 16-35L on FF and it works well but don't get any hands or feet in the corners of the photo or they will look HUGE and LONG :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. ahhh I love this site.

     

    Thanks for such great info guys!

     

    how many f stops does a TC drop the light down by?

     

    Cal

     

    oh and also, would a 12-24mm work well for close up face shots? -someone is selling a cheap 2nd hand one and i'm thinking of getting it.

  7. ahhh I love this site.

     

    Thanks for such great info guys!

     

    how many f stops does a TC drop the light down by?

     

    Cal

     

    oh and also, would a 12-24mm work well for close up face shots? -someone is selling a cheap 2nd hand one and i'm thinking of getting it.

    You lose 1 stop with a 1.4x and 2 stops with a 2x

    12-24 might give you some distortion real close, really don't know though.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.