Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Waterproof memory cards?

Started by Rocha ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Waterproof memory cards?

6 posts
  1. Take a look at this story guys, a fisherman trawled a camera thought to be underwater for more than a year and was able to read its card!

     

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8509619.stm

     

    So, if your camera is flooded (which in an ideal world should be never! :drink: ), keep your cards as your photos may still be safe! :laugh:

  2. So, if your camera is flooded ... keep your cards as your photos may still be safe

     

    I learned the same thing from personal experience. When I flooded my camera at Wakatobi, I found that my card still functioned perfectly. The camera was toast but the card wasn't.

     

    Ellen

  3. Like Ellen, I know that one from personal experience also from about 6 years ago when I had my old camera flood. Was able to get the photos off the card, but retired the card anyway :drink:

  4. I know from experience as well. I regularly shoot with two cameras with two CF cards in each. It seems I always have a spare card or two in my pants pocket. I can't count how many times they have gone through the washing machine, and they have never failed. It might be a different story if I washed my clothes in salt water, but so far — so good.

  5. SanDisk Extreme III (or better) cards do especially well with this.

     

    Still, I have seen some that gave up the data, but had occasional errors after being flooded (especially in salt water).

     

    So I'm not usually panicky about losing my data from the flood, but the card gets chucked afterwards, just to be safe.

  6. Delkin Devices, Inc. CombatFlash, a new line of ruggedized, waterproof and fast CompactFlash memory cards.

     

    Silicone encasing of the card perhaps to seal and waterproof the pin connections? Just curios. If anybody gets one of these, please let us know :(

    Edited by fotoscubo714
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.