Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Cannon Powershot S40

Started by Katfish ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Cannon Powershot S40

2 posts
  1. Hello all

     

     

    I have a Cannon Powershot S40 with the canon underwater housing which is serving me well and giving me some very nice shots. I shoot at large image size and superfine settings.

     

    When I donwload the pictures and take them into photoshop I find that they are only 72 pixels per inch. This seems low when I have been recommended to print at 300dpi. Is there any way of increasing the dpi of the camera or is this it?

     

    Also, I have been told it is always better to download RAW data from the camera and take this into Photoshop, rather than jpeg. Is this possible with the S40, and if so how?

     

    Thanks

     

    Katfish

  2. G'day Katfish.

    I use a S45 but used to use a S40 ( long story...very wet...very sad :) )

    The DPI you initially see in Photoshop is irellevant - as most monitor screens are 72 DPI ( well sorta...)

    What you WILL find is that your image has the dimensions of 2272x1704 pixels

     

    You can resize it WITHOUT RESAMPLING to 300DPI if you want for printing ( the physical dimensions of the shot will come down as the resolution increase -300dpi 7.57inch x 5.68 inch but the pixel dimensions stay the same.

     

    ie 2272/300 = 7.57 and 1704/300 = 5.68

     

    You will see little if any change on your screen.

     

    Personally I find that 210 DPI (approx) prints out well up to 8x10 inches.

     

    You Need to get your head around the relationship b/w DPI, pixels and physical size :D

     

    As for raw...... I ALWAYS shoot raw. Its no bigger in absolute pixels BUT

    1) It has lossless compression ( unlike jpeg) so no compression artifacts.

    2) there is no processing in camera - I get to choose that myself ( white balance, saturation, sharpness etc)

    3) the Canon RAW format is quite compact compared to some I am told and I get 34 shots or so on a 128mb card...

     

    BUT.....

    You need to be able to process the raw into a Tiff ( say..) and I do that into 16 bit TIFFs and do as much subsequent processing from there. Use either the Canon RAW converter ( free with your camera or download from canon).....Breeze Browser...Adobe Raw plug in or the new Photoshop CS that I THINK supports the S40 raw....

     

    In summary - you are getting all the data...

    you can print good prints with the settings you are using

    RAW is a very good way to go once you come to terms with how it can be managed.

    HTH

    Tack :freak:

     

    Ps all the shots taken underwater at my website were RAW with S45

     

    My Webpage

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.