Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

1954 underwater photography book

Started by Cal ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

1954 underwater photography book

6 posts
  1. Hey crew

     

    I just found a first edition (1954) book titled "underwater photography" by Hilbert Schenck and Henry Kendall.

     

    Worth anything?

     

    Its in mint condition.

     

    its a beautiful book, with amazing illustrations and technical jargon (far beyond what we chatter about today).

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

  2. re: 1954 Underwater Photography book,

    15 Febuary 1999, Henry W. Kendall died during a CC Rebreather dive,later reports were he was diving alone and had not set up his rebreather properly.

     

    Published Obit below:

     

     

    Professor Henry W. Kendall, a 1990 Nobel laureate in physics and longtime environmentalist, died on February 15 1999 while exploring the wilderness he loved and worked to preserve. He was 72 years old.

     

    Professor Kendall, who shared the Nobel prize with his MIT colleague, Professor Jerome Friedman, and Professor Richard Taylor of Stanford University, was taking photographs on a scuba expedition with a friend from the National Geographic Society at the Wakulla Springs State Park in Florida when he died. Fellow divers found him unconscious in six to 10 feet of water at about 5pm. He was flown to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead on arrival. Pending the final autopsy report, the Wakulla

  3. wow........

     

    Thanks for that.

     

    What an incredible guy

     

    Cheers

  4. Best way I find to find out about books is to look at a site like www.abebooks.com - just put title and author(s) in and unless its extremely rare you will find out whether copies are available and at what sort of money. Your book is listed three times at $12~25, but of course as with any collectible, condition is everything!

  5. Not that I'd want to start a bidding war, but it sounds the sort of thing that I'd pick up if I saw it, to read for insight and inspiration (so much easier than actually taking photographs).

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

  6. I find it interesting when I run into climbers who also divers (I ran into him at an American Alpine Club meeting at one time but can not remember when). A bit more on Kendall:

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Way_Kendall

     

    Oddly enough at this point in my life I could talk climbing, diving, or physics with him. And though I am working with plasma physicists these days the physics would be at a much lower level. Wish he was still around.

    Edited by allen
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.