Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

FYI - keep your insurance paperwork!

Started by vetdiver ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

FYI - keep your insurance paperwork!

3 posts
  1. I am sure this is a pretty isolated case, and I am also sure that most people here keep paperwork just in case, but I wanted to relay this....

     

    I was updating my H2O insurance policy to reflect some gear changes and my new 7D camera rig (;)), and the policy number came up as invalid, with a "renewal" policy number then provided... and a renewal price that obviously reflected the cost of the entire policy for all items, not just the new stuff. Since my policy is not up for renewal until June, this surprised me. Greatly. A few phone calls revealed that they had no record of me renewing my policy last June, although I did it online about 2 weeks before the policy was due for renewal... I had the receipt and credit card statement, so it was all taken care of quickly, but the woman I spoke to initially was absolutely insistent that my policy had lapsed. (In retrospect, I never did get the full certificate, but I didn't notice, as I renewed the evening before I left for a 3-week trip to Indonesia.)

     

    Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know about this - if I'd had a flood last year and not been able to dig up my paperwork, this could have been a bit of an issue!

    Edited by vetdiver
  2. I am sure this is a pretty isolated case, and I am also sure that most people here keep paperwork just in case, but I wanted to relay this....

     

    I was updating my H2O insurance policy to reflect some gear changes and my new 7D camera rig ( ;) ), and the policy number came up as invalid, with a "renewal" policy number then provided... and a renewal price that obviously reflected the cost of the entire policy for all items, not just the new stuff. Since my policy is not up for renewal until June, this surprised me. Greatly. A few phone calls revealed that they had no record of me renewing my policy last June, although I did it online about 2 weeks before the policy was due for renewal... I had the receipt and credit card statement, so it was all taken care of quickly, but the woman I spoke to initially was absolutely insistent that my policy had lapsed. (In retrospect, I never did get the full certificate, but I didn't notice, as I renewed the evening before I left for a 3-week trip to Indonesia.)

     

    Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know about this - if I'd had a flood last year and not been able to dig up my paperwork, this could have been a bit of an issue!

     

    Thanks for the reminder. I have some new items I need to add to the insurance stuff.

     

    I am going through my homwowners policy. Is there a better one for underwater photogs and/or divers?

     

    Thanks

  3. Thanks for the reminder. I have some new items I need to add to the insurance stuff.

     

    I am going through my homwowners policy. Is there a better one for underwater photogs and/or divers?

     

    Thanks

     

     

    It is my experience that Insurance Companies only pay out as a matter of good public relations and getting more business. They'll do anything to escape a claim so we all need to be very defensive about keeping our insurance details intact.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.