Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Red Sea Liveaboard 2009 - Your opinion please

Started by onderwaterfoto ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Red Sea Liveaboard 2009 - Your opinion please

14 posts
  1. I made another trip to the Red Sea last november. We went to the Brother Islands and Daedalus. I would like to hear what your opinion is. I could not upload in HD because it was to long.

     

    [vimeo]9498110[/vimeo]

    Edited by onderwaterfoto
  2. I was there the same time you were apparantly, but just on another ship. Good first effort but here are some observations and suggestions.

    While I loved your opening music, it is very ominous sounding, yet there is nothing ominous about your film or within its storyline. The music should fit the theme of the video for enhancement.

    There are several clips where a little color correction would greatly help.

    It appears throughtout most of the video that you have a fairly steady hand and that is most important.

    Your film comes in at around 20 minutes. If you really want to improve upon it, and this will hurt, cut it down to 5-8 minutes. New shooters make the mistake of falling in love with their own footage. Ask yourself whether you have repeat shots or clips so similar you are being redundant. Certainly cut out any backside shots of fish or sharks swimming away from you.

    Hope this helps and keep working at it.

    Steve

  3. Thank you steve!

     

    Yeah i know about the length... Imagine that the full version is 53 minutes...lol.

     

    Maybe it's a good idee to make a really short version of 8 minutes. At least for show casing.

  4. Maybe it's a good idee to make a really short version of 8 minutes. At least for show casing.

     

    Also perhaps keep some of the shots a bit shorter in length (in other words you can still hit alot of the same material, instead of hanging on some shots for a longer time, cut them into the 4-5 second range to keep things moving)

     

    Don't get me wrong, I like the shots, but as Steve mentioned it is better to cut short rather than long. I have a couple of long sequences that I like, but unless someone was on that dive with me, it does not mean as much. That is why I have alot of Director cuts for myself ;)

  5. UPDATE: I made a shorter version (a little more than 9 minutes) and uploaded it to Youtube in HD. Follow the link below:

     

    Edited by Drew
  6. Bummer, I have nearly gone over my monthly bandwidth and have to wait 6 more days before I can watch it... ;)

    On the best-fastest wireless USB connection you can get in this country, buts its only... 10 gigs bandwidth.

  7. Bummer, I have nearly gone over my monthly bandwidth and have to wait 6 more days before I can watch it... ;)

    On the best-fastest wireless USB connection you can get in this country, buts its only... 10 gigs bandwidth.

    I got told today that where you are going shortly there is no wireless broadband so you will be able to save a lot of bandwidth then!

  8. Well that's why I'm taking an external antenna, should work then. ;)

  9. Well that's why I'm taking an external antenna, should work then. ;)

    Not according to the guy from Telstra that I was talking to today!

  10. i was at Big Brother also on 7-17 November. I love your movie.

     

    what video setup do you have? do you have a pictures of yourself u/w with camera and all ? i like pictures with videographers in action.

    Edited by Misa
  11. i was at Big Brother also on 7-17 November. I love your movie.

     

    what video setup do you have? do you have a pictures of yourself u/w with camera and all ? i like pictures with videographers in action.

     

    Thank you!

     

    My video setup:

    JVC HD-30, Ikelite housing with domeport, Raynox HD Wideangle and Ikelite Pro Video Lite 3 (50 watts x2).

     

    I don't have any pictures of me with my current gear. But I have a picture on land with an ancient we found on the bottom of the sea...

     

    http://www.onderwaterfoto.net/gallery/main..._serialNumber=1

  12. Much improved over the first version. You're on the right track but there is still some room for cutting....now bring it down to 5. IMHO

    Steve

  13. Ha, nice to hear. I will see and post it when I have the time.

  14. I had some footage left from my trip to Galapagos in 2007. It's made with a Fuji E900 digital still camera with a resolution of 640x480@30fps. I made an edited version of it. Check it out at

     

    I also made a compilation of some of my images:

     

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.