Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

How do I determine licensing fees for website use?

Started by Natalie_S ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

How do I determine licensing fees for website use?

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes:

     

    A local dive shop has expressed interest in licensing a few of my photos for their new website. They want me to quote them a figure. I replied that I'd have to know what sizes they need, and what use they will be for (banner ad, or other use). and how long they wish to license the images. In effect, I need more information to be able to give them a quote. I've heard of fotoQuote: is this a good program to use for determining my fees? Or is there some other general guide I should be using?

     

    If anyone has done this before, please let me know if I've missed anything.

     

    Thanks!

    Edited by Natalie_S
  2. Anyone? I could use some help with this.

  3. Maybe you could look at what getty charges for their images: http://www.gettyimages.com/ and try to compare the relevant images with some of their. Can the dive stor just buy the images they need of getty, or are your images unique in some way hat is important to them? Beeing a greedy capitalist I would say charge as much as the store is willing to pay, or said a different way how much do you think the images are worth to them?

     

    Another thought is that if this is not going to be a livelihood then charge a fee beers worth and bask in the glory of having sold some images (which I have yet to do).

    Edited by akalars
  4. alamy.com also has a price calculator, just choose a photo and follow along with the terms of image use and it will come up with a number

  5. Another thought is that if this is not going to be a livelihood then charge a fee beers worth and bask in the glory of having sold some images (which I have yet to do).

     

    I think you've got the wrong attitude. Even if you're not a pro, if someone is willing to pay for your images you should charge the going rate; don't lowball or do it for a few beers. That just puts all of us who do this as a profession in a bad position. I'm in the process of going pro (though not with underwater images so far), and I'd rather not do myself a disservice by charging a pittance. The microstock market has devalued all of our photos, unfortunately, but if the shop was going with microstock, they wouldn't have contacted me.

     

    I gave away some photos in exchange for a credit line to a charter operator last year, and I've regretted it ever since.

     

     

    I'll check out alamy and getty; thanks for the advice guys!

  6. Another thought is that if this is not going to be a livelihood then charge a fee beers worth and bask in the glory of having sold some images (which I have yet to do).

     

    No no no no!

     

    Never forget the value to the client. The dive shop wants good PR and if they are going to pay then quote commercial rates. When the dive shop opens up its stock for "a few beers" then sure, why not? Until then, charge them.

     

    Here's an idea about fees:-

     

    Look for the commercial listings At the London Freelance Guide site

     

    But do remember two things:-

     

    If the image is unique, the price goes up.

    Be prepared to negotiate, or walk away if the fee is too low.

     

    Good luck.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.