Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What I have learned about AA rechargeable batteries

Started by saudio ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

What I have learned about AA rechargeable batteries

17 posts
  1. I had quite a collection of AA rechargeable batteries, enough to have 2 sets for my Inon strobes, and 2 sets for my Fisheye focus light. Although I kept matching sets of 4, I had all sorts of different brands, capacities, and ages of batteries accumulated over the years. Everready, Sanyo, Powerex, etc.

     

    Here's what I assumed all along:

     

    You are supposed to get about 1000 charges from a NiMH, and I recharge maybe 10 times a trip, 4 trips a year, so they ought to last at least 5 years.

     

    A set of matched batteries would deteriorate at roughly the same rate.

     

    Store the batteries charged, and charge again before each trip.

     

    Then I started to unexpectedly run out of strobe power in the middle of dives. So I splurged and bought 2 Powerex MH-C9000 Charger Analyzers( http://www.thomasdistributing.com/maha-mh-...ery-charger.php ), and boy, did I learn a bunch. This device, which costs about $50, will break in, charge, discharge, condition, and/or analyze up to 4 AA or AAA batteries. Each battery is charged/analyzed independently and there is a bright LED readout to monitor the status of each battery. In the Break In or Refresh and Analyze modes, the capacity of each individual battery is measured and recorded, so you can know exactly what condition your batteries are in. You can even re-condition some batteries and improve performance.

     

    Here's what I found out from analyzing my batteries and reading the very informative instructions:

     

    1. Most of my batteries were at 2/3 or less capacity, probably as a result of improper maintenance and age. My 2500 MAH Sanyos were measuring 1700-1800

    2. I had quite a few batteries that read much lower than others in the same set. Since the capacity of a device using a set of four batteries is limited to the capacity of the worst one, I was not getting nearly the performance out of sets that I should.

    3. I was damaging my batteries by not charging them for months, and charging them together at a very high rate using the cheap chargers that came with the batteries. These chargers stop charging as soon as the first battery is charged, the others are not charged to capacity. They charge fast and hot, which is not the best for the batteries. Also, AA batteries need to be refreshed/recharged at least once a month while in storage to keep them in top form. An intelligent charger like the 9000 will charge at a rate that is the most efficient and least damaging to the battery.

    4. Brand new batteries are no guarantee of reliable performance. I bought 8 Delkin 2900 MAH batteries from Thomas, ran them in the break-in mode on the c9000, and found out they were only holding about 1900 MAH. I sent them back, had them replaced with Powerex 2700's which tested at over 2600. Without this device you just buy and hope.

    5. You lose 1% a day from a fully charged MiMH battery just sitting. And I would sometimes charge my batteries a week or two before a trip. So you might lose 15-20% before you get in the water. So now I top off all my batteries before the first dive.

     

     

     

    I ended up just throwing away all but 8 of my old batteries, and buying 16 Powerex and 16 Sanyo 2700 MAH batteries, all of which tested at or near rated capacity. And I just got back from Hawaii, where for the first time in several trips I knew before I hit the water I would have enough strobe and modeling light power to get me through the dives I had planned.

     

    The 9000's are pretty bulky, so I use them for charging and maintenance at home, and carry the light, cheap wall wart-type chargers for trips. Since I now know exactly the status of my batteries before I leave, the cheap chargers work fine for a week or two.

     

    Hope this is helpful.

     

    Mike

     

    PS Two things to add;

    First, the Sanyo 2700 MH batteries have proven to keep capacity over time better than the Powerex 2700's. The Sanyos are measuring 2400 and the Powerex are measuring about 2200.

    Second, I'm told that a severe drop to high capacity NIMH batteries can ruin them. If you drop one on a hard surface, be sure to test it before trusting it.

    Edited by saudio
  2. interesting info - thanks

     

    i switched to Sanyo Enelop batteries for flash over a year ago based on Inon's recommendation and the low self-discharge rate. they seem to be perfoming as advertised but it would be nice to know for sure

     

    the chargers that come with the batteries seem to be quite variable, the one that came with Enelops seems better than most - it charges in pairs and will charge 4 AAA cells unlike most

     

    the Powerex charger certainly seems like a reasonable investment - i've got a bunch of older batteries in variable condition sitting on the shelf

  3. Great write up mike. I also purchased the same charger and have had about the same experience. Some of my used / abused batteries seem to be close to specs even tho they are older and have been used a lot. The brand name on them is Ultralast 2000 mah. The other surprising thing that I noticed is that the OLD OLD radio shack NI-CAD 1000 mah batteries tested out at about 900 mah. Using this charger certainly opened my eyes and provided some good information.

  4. Great writeup. I LOVE my Maha charger.

     

    I have the MAHA MH-C808M charger, which is fantastic for home (and it'll charge C and D batteries as well), but I've traveled with it before and it's a beast. I guess I don't really consider the MH-C9000 to be big and bulky... it's only a small amount bigger than the tiny dumb Sanyo charger that came with my Eneloops.

     

    Personally, the best travel charger I can think of is the MAHA MH-C801D, which can charge 8 AA's at a time. I don't know about you, but unless I bring two, 4-pack chargers just aren't enough for the number of cells I need to charge overnight while on a trip.

     

    I've actually read some good things about one of the Lenmar smart chargers (I think it was Lenmar), as well as the MAHA C9000. Actually easier to program and get the individual battery details.

  5. interesting info - thanks

     

    i switched to Sanyo Enelop batteries for flash over a year ago based on Inon's recommendation and the low self-discharge rate. they seem to be perfoming as advertised but it would be nice to know for sure

     

    the chargers that come with the batteries seem to be quite variable, the one that came with Enelops seems better than most - it charges in pairs and will charge 4 AAA cells unlike most

     

    the Powerex charger certainly seems like a reasonable investment - i've got a bunch of older batteries in variable condition sitting on the shelf

     

     

    Hey Steve, I should have mentioned that the Maha charger works exactly the same for Eneloop batteries as well as NIMH. I have some eneloops, but until they are offered with higher capacity I'm going to stick with the NIMH's and be sure they are topped off before the dive.

     

    Great write up mike. I also purchased the same charger and have had about the same experience. Some of my used / abused batteries seem to be close to specs even tho they are older and have been used a lot. The brand name on them is Ultralast 2000 mah. The other surprising thing that I noticed is that the OLD OLD radio shack NI-CAD 1000 mah batteries tested out at about 900 mah. Using this charger certainly opened my eyes and provided some good information.

     

    It seems to me that the lower capacity batteries generally hold up longer than the ones that are near 3000.

  6. Great writeup. I LOVE my Maha charger.

     

    I have the MAHA MH-C808M charger, which is fantastic for home (and it'll charge C and D batteries as well), but I've traveled with it before and it's a beast. I guess I don't really consider the MH-C9000 to be big and bulky... it's only a small amount bigger than the tiny dumb Sanyo charger that came with my Eneloops.

     

    Personally, the best travel charger I can think of is the MAHA MH-C801D, which can charge 8 AA's at a time. I don't know about you, but unless I bring two, 4-pack chargers just aren't enough for the number of cells I need to charge overnight while on a trip.

     

    I've actually read some good things about one of the Lenmar smart chargers (I think it was Lenmar), as well as the MAHA C9000. Actually easier to program and get the individual battery details.

     

    I agree, 4 cells at a time isn't enough, especially on live-aboards where 4-5 dives a day are possible. I carry three of the very compact Sanyo 4 cell chargers on trips, ones that have come with packages of Sanyo batteries from Costco.

  7. Thanks for that, Mike. My experience with Sanyo is a little different in that they tend to die faster than the PowerEx 2700. As do the Energizers. I've found the Ansmann 2850 high drain batteries to be very good for my Inon Z240. I can get more than 300 full power shots with them and the strobe recycle is a bit faster. They do need to be broken in well though. I use the Ansmann Max E for low self discharge applications like remotes etc. I find them to be better than the Eneloops and Immedion.

    I have the 9000 too but don't travel with it. Instead I take 2 of the Powerex 204W chargers and 1 La Crosse BC-900. The overall weight of all the 3 chargers (with short power cables) combined is about the same as one Powerex 801. The La Crosse is a slower charging (1000mah vs 2000 of the 204) but it does have test modes and smart charging at half the size and weight of the 9000. The 204W has a refresh mode BUT it's not all that smart a charger in that it only charges one bank smartly (2 batteries at a time), so if your batteries aren't of equal capacity it won't fully charge the bigger one rapidly.

    The small chargers work well for on a long trip, with recondition and test using the BC900 on occasion. I use to travel with the 801 but find this combo to be a bit more flexible and as light.

  8. I like the MAHA 801D 8 cell AA too, but I've had two fail. The second set of 4 cells doesn't charge. Bought new batteries, etc. They are very good about replacing them, but it hasn't been very reliable.

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
  9. Has anyone here tried NiZn batteries? If so, any thoughts? I have at least once device that doesn't like the low 1.2V of NiMH rechargeables, and the NiZn ones look like a good replacement option.

  10. I just replaced my 2700 Maha with eneloops.

     

    After last dive trip in Oct, I forgot to charge them before storage.

    I pulled them out 2 weeks ago and 60% were dead or reversed.

    Moral: If you don't use them frequently, don't forget to charge before storing!

  11. Has anyone here tried NiZn batteries? If so, any thoughts? I have at least once device that doesn't like the low 1.2V of NiMH rechargeables, and the NiZn ones look like a good replacement option.

     

    I have one 8 pack set I'm using on the 270 and 580 EX. Recycle times are AWESOME BUT you have to watch out for the type of electronics you put it in. The terminal voltage was from 1.7-1.8 after a full recharge, which could fry your unregulated devices (usually 1.5-1.6V). I haven't had the guts to try them on the Inons yet but I will next month when I get back my Harty as backup. The other problem is you need a dedicated NiZn charger which can't charge NiMH and is more than 50% slower (2.5hrs for 4 AA batteries), so I'm waiting for my current batteries to die out before phasing NiMH out and see how the charging tech develops as well. The other problems with NiZn is that the number of recharges drops to more than half of NiMH (200 (which was on the Powergenix website but they removed it!) vs 500) but they do discharge slower than the NiMH batteries. I'm using the Powergenix charger packer. Oh yeah one more thing is that the packaging has a bit of "spice". The 2500mWh is actually about 1500mah. ;) Bigger is better.

    So in short, I want to test it more before making a big switch. I have to find out if the Inon is regulated or not. I am also evaluating it for the car battery replacement of the NiMH cell.

    Edited by Drew
  12. I had to find this video again.... shows how fast the NiZn batteries recycle a strobe... and drives it to thermal shutdown!

     

  13. Thanks for that, Mike. My experience with Sanyo is a little different in that they tend to die faster than the PowerEx 2700. As do the Energizers. I've found the Ansmann 2850 high drain batteries to be very good for my Inon Z240. I can get more than 300 full power shots with them and the strobe recycle is a bit faster. They do need to be broken in well though. I use the Ansmann Max E for low self discharge applications like remotes etc. I find them to be better than the Eneloops and Immedion.

    I have the 9000 too but don't travel with it. Instead I take 2 of the Powerex 204W chargers and 1 La Crosse BC-900. The overall weight of all the 3 chargers (with short power cables) combined is about the same as one Powerex 801. The La Crosse is a slower charging (1000mah vs 2000 of the 204) but it does have test modes and smart charging at half the size and weight of the 9000. The 204W has a refresh mode BUT it's not all that smart a charger in that it only charges one bank smartly (2 batteries at a time), so if your batteries aren't of equal capacity it won't fully charge the bigger one rapidly.

    The small chargers work well for on a long trip, with recondition and test using the BC900 on occasion. I use to travel with the 801 but find this combo to be a bit more flexible and as light.

    LaCrosse BC-900, that was the other good smart charger I was thinking of, not the Lenmar. Utter memory failure, thanks. ;)

     

    The Sanyo chargers that come with the Costco Eneloop kits work well, and are nicely compact, but they're sloooooooooooooooow. The Maha chargers do a great job with the Eneloops, still managing to keep them nice and cool during charging, and yet charge them in a fraction of the time.

  14. Has anyone here tried NiZn batteries? If so, any thoughts? I have at least once device that doesn't like the low 1.2V of NiMH rechargeables, and the NiZn ones look like a good replacement option.

    I have a couple of sets, but they are not terribly high capacity. The voltage curves look a lot steeper than the low internal discharge NiMH batteries but for toys that were designed for 1.5V batteries they work very well.

     

    Bill

  15. Bill, try the NiZn with your flash. The quick recycle is amazing. I just don't know about longevity of the strobe bulb! :(

    Edited by Drew
  16. Bill, try the NiZn with your flash. The quick recycle is amazing. I just don't know about longevity of the strobe bulb! :(

    I will. I am guessing that the strobe bulb shouldn't be affected since once the cap is charged it shouldn't deliver extra power but I am a bit concerned about the charging circuit.

    Bill

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.