Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Just have to Vent!

Started by Rantvent ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Just have to Vent!

8 posts
  1. Not sure the mods will leave this up but I have found it therapeutic so it served it's purpose.

     

    So what is up with the third place winner of the "Wetpixel 2009 Picture of the Year"?????????????????????????????? Am I missing something here?????? I apologize in advance as I know this is very insulting to the photographer but I would have deleted this shot in the camera!!!!! IMHO this was the weakest photo in the competition. Someone enlighten me, please.

     

     

     

    Even though they have not won now we have to compete against Pro, staged, pool shots, with models?

     

     

     

    Am I the only one getting tired of perfectly positioned models with full face masks and lights pointed at the camera?

     

     

     

    Also if I see Scar the Sperm Whale in one more competition, especially macro, I will scream! We get it, you have a pet whale, we are all jealous, I am sure Bud and Sandy are green with envy….

     

     

     

    Thanks, I feel much better…..

     

     

     

    Yes I am hiding behind a fake registration, I am lame.

  2. Heh.

     

    Well, remember that it the POTW and Picture of the Year are fundamentally popularity contests because they are based on public voting. The key to these sorts of contests having accurate results is critical mass, but it is really hard to have critical mass when we are a niche within a niche. If one person has a huge online network, he/she can skew the results by getting friends to vote.

  3. Yes I am hiding behind a fake registration, I am lame.

     

    I agree.

  4. Well, you know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

     

    ... my favourite images didn't get anywhere (and it's been years since I placed in POTW with one of my own images).

     

    I get (almost) insanely jealous of some photo opportunities that I've never had, but then again, I also get jealous of some photographers' ability to frame, compose and light subjects that I have seen, and to do it so much better than I did...

     

    Tim

     

    :(

  5. Even though they have not won now we have to compete against Pro, staged, pool shots, with models?

     

    It's tough, but that's the nature of the beast. I have empathy, but won't even go so far as to call it unfair. :lol:

     

    Am I the only one getting tired of perfectly positioned models with full face masks and lights pointed at the camera?

     

    No you are not. Even some pros are sick of it.

     

    Also if I see Scar the Sperm Whale in one more competition, especially macro, I will scream! We get it, you have a pet whale, we are all jealous, I am sure Bud and Sandy are green with envy….

     

    I disagree. You get a good shot/subject you milk it for all its worth. Once everyone gets sick of it, then they die a natural death. That's why you don't see pygmy sea horses (unless birthing babies), mandarinfish, or mangroves winning contests. I think we are maybe closing in on the end of jellyfish shots. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so once everyone has the shot, then it lose its luster. Be first or be different.

     

    Yes I am hiding behind a fake registration, I am lame.

     

    Hah, I've been on a boat with Eric, Cor and Matt. They already know who you are, every web site you have ever visited, probably what you had for breakfast. They may even be looking at you right now through your own computer. :(

     

    As for contest voting, Eric points out the reality of such contests. I've seen people post on scuba boards for everyone to go vote for their image in their local camera club. All contests can be weird in one way or another. It's all very, very subjective.

  6. He didnt have breakfast. That's not a good way to start the day!

  7. He didnt have breakfast. That's not a good way to start the day!

    :(

     

    Todd

  8. Haha :( Hilarious

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.