Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish at Koh Ta Chai

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish at Koh Ta Chai

4 posts
  1. I shot this fish on a night dive at Koh Ta Chai, north of the Similan Islands in Thailand.

     

    Unfortunately I only have footage of the head, not the whole body.

     

    It's got me baffled. Any ideas?

    post-3234-1267068490.jpg

  2. How about Calotomus carolinus?

  3. I had considered Calotomus carolinus because of the markings around the eye, but this one looks so utterly different to my only previous sighting of Calotomus carolinus (from Bunaken, pic below) that I discounted it. But now that I look closely at pics like this one I think you're right. Thanks very much William!

    post-3234-1267071468.jpg

  4. I agree with C. carolinus, these parrotfish are known to change their colors to better blend into the surrounding environment, especially juveniles and females.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.