Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica 6" or 8"

Started by Steen Nissen ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica 6" or 8"

6 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I'm on the step to ordering the Aquatica housing for my Nikon D90. I already have the Sigma 17-70, and the Tokina 10-17 should arrive in a few days. I'm very unsure which port to get for these lenses.

    Reading old topics on this site indicates that both the 6" and 8" will work, but I guess there must be some difference between the two ?

    I would prefer the smaller size of the 6" but I guess the difference between the two is more than size ?

     

    Any coments or opinions would be much apreciated.

     

    Steen

  2. FWIW I found the edges soft at 10mm with a 6" dome ( not Aquatica so YMMV ).

     

    All very subjective given the trade off's.

     

    Suggest that you have done the best thing by doing a search and reading the many threads on the 10-17 up on this forum.

     

    The 8" will be 'better' optically than the 6" if the amount of 'better' justifies the other factors - well that is for you to decide.

     

    Paul C ( I went 8" FWIW which ain't a whole hell of a lot )

  3. I would say, go for the 8" given your choice of lenses, the Tokina 10-17mm is quite behing the 6" dome port, I just don't like the Sigma 17-70mm behind the smaller dome, you will get better result behind the larger dome with this lens.

  4. I have the D90 setup in Aquatica housing and same lens. I use the 6" dome and like the results so far. I really like the 6" dome for traveling. I do a lot of traveling and the size was a key point for me. I have been very pleased with the results. If you want to see how the dome does with the tokina, here are two pics of wide angle shots with the 6" dome in this set of pics from my flickr page.

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/4249...57623032030187/

     

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/4246...57623032030187/

     

    Another suggestion is to talk with someone who has used both domes. I did and after my conversation with them and based on my needs, I went with the 6".

     

    Good luck - DiverPam

  5. I went with the 8" for my Aquatica/D90, 10-17 Tokina. I wanted the capabilities for Over/Unders, and in my research found the 6" was not really adequate for them. It's not bad for travel, I've had no probs so far.

  6. I'd like to add another variable to this issue: using a 15mm fisheye lens (Sigma or Canon, take your pick) with those two ports. From my understanding, shooting a fisheye works quite well (and presumably so would the 10-17) with the 6" dome, in part because it is easier to light the center of the photo when doing CFWA shots. I've used the huge domes (Seacam Superdome and 9.25" Aquatica Megadome), and find them quite difficult to light in close quarters (because the dome itself blocks the light).

     

    Can any of you familiar with the 6" dome for super-wide-angle close-focus work, as relates to either the 8" or uber-domes, shed some light on this issue (pun intended)?

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.