Berkley and Jim have posted their view of the best options for compact shooters Check it out here;
http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=80
Have fun,
Steve
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by Steve Williams ·
Read-only discussion
Berkley and Jim have posted their view of the best options for compact shooters Check it out here;
http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=80
Have fun,
Steve
Hehee... G-series continues it's victory march! ![]()
Thanks for the link Steve, makes an interesting read. Im still pleased with my decision on the G11, just need to get it wet now..!
Cheers,
Mark
Only confirms that the S90 is a great camera if not the best. The FIX housing plus S90 is a wonderful combination and the ability to take all of my wet mount lenses from the Inon 165AD fisheye lens to the 165AD macro and everything in between including the great 100WAL with dome combo is simply amazing. Thank you Canon, love that front ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the FIX housing too, simply amazing to be able to access shutter and f stop via smooth, easy to use individual rotary knobs without pushing a single stupid button, great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fast shutter, fast lens and fast and accurate auto focus are great positives for this combination along with the smooth, fluid, intuitive controls of the FIX90 housing.
I would comment, however, that the g-11 package price of $3200 would allow someone to purchase a used DSLR setup. In general, people are afraid to purchase a used setup because it is....well....used but generally most serious underwater photographers take good care of their equipment.
I just sold an Ikelite housing for the D-200 with multiple ports for $750. This was about 1/4 the original price. I also sold the D-200 for $400. One could have easily added 1 strobe and 2 lenses for $2000.00 and had a D-200 setup for the same price as a G-11.
I would comment, however, that the g-11 package price of $3200 would allow someone to purchase a used DSLR setup. In general, people are afraid to purchase a used setup because it is....well....used but generally most serious underwater photographers take good care of their equipment.
I just sold an Ikelite housing for the D-200 with multiple ports for $750. This was about 1/4 the original price. I also sold the D-200 for $400. One could have easily added 1 strobe and 2 lenses for $2000.00 and had a D-200 setup for the same price as a G-11.
My Fisheye plus S90 plus Inon D2000 system was over $2000. Which obvisously is in the range of some DSLR plus housng setups. The Olympus refurb on Backscatter I looked at closely.
I think Crawdad is right on with his points about the size and speed. I will post more after next week when I shoot it down off West Palm Beach.
All my Ike rigs are going on eBay this summer.
I have been very impressed with my FIX90 rig. Yes, it was expensive but a dSLR would have increased the price and more importantly the travel footprint considerably. The FIX90 can utilize my wet lenses effectively and with good results and packs down nicely.
This complete rig including lens, strobes, tray, housing, camera, batteries, charger etc (Inon 165AD fisheye lens, dual D2000 strobes, DIY lens adapter, DIY tray):

Packs down in to this case for easy carry on:

And shoots decent pics, 165AD lens, no cropping required:

It is a fun rig, shoots great, responsive, versatile, easy to travel with and very capable.
I would comment, however, that the g-11 package price of $3200 would allow someone to purchase a used DSLR setup. In general, people are afraid to purchase a used setup because it is....well....used but generally most serious underwater photographers take good care of their equipment.
I just sold an Ikelite housing for the D-200 with multiple ports for $750. This was about 1/4 the original price. I also sold the D-200 for $400. One could have easily added 1 strobe and 2 lenses for $2000.00 and had a D-200 setup for the same price as a G-11.
From what I've seen from our customers' feedback, most people are buying the G11 and S90 rigs due to the size and features, including quite a few tech divers. They just don't want to go up to the size of an SLR. I've also seen quite a few DSLR users get one of these systems as a backup system. Unfortunately with the way airlines are treating us with limited luggage for some destinations, size trumps everything else.
Best regards,
Jim
Complete dual strobe FIX90 rig with lens as shown above, tray, arms, charger, batteries--the WHOLE thing--packed in one small faux Pelican case for easy carry-on travel:

Travel restrictions are very limiting, small is the future be it something like this or M4:3.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.