Hi,
Anyone have any ideas on how to attach a tripod to an Ikelite housing?
Read-only discussion
Hi,
Anyone have any ideas on how to attach a tripod to an Ikelite housing?
Sure, thats easy. If it is a newer housing Ikelite has provided a 1/4" 20 threaded hole in the bottom of the handle assembly. Otherwise just remove the handle base and drill and tap a 1/4" 20 threads per inch hole in the base. Reinstall the base and mount to tripod.
Sure, thats easy. If it is a newer housing Ikelite has provided a 1/4" 20 threaded hole in the bottom of the handle assembly. Otherwise just remove the handle base and drill and tap a 1/4" 20 threads per inch hole in the base. Reinstall the base and mount to tripod.
Thanks for the (fast!) reply.
Not following you 100% though...
I was under the impression that I had a pretty new housing (D300, approx 2.5 years old) but I can't see any holes in the bottom of the handle assembly.
I've attached a photo of the bottom of my housing. What do you think?
Is there a hole?
If not, where should I drill and thread one?
Thanks!
Here is the base of a D90 housing. The factory holes have some paint?? inside them and need a tap run threw to clean the paint out as seen in the center hole. Once the handles are removed you can better select a point to put the hole. I really don't think that placement is all that important as long as it will somewhat balance the rig.
Glad I could help..
Wonder if you can figure out a way to make this tripod base from Xit 404 work? Existing hole may line up.
Steve
Here is the base of a D90 housing. The factory holes have some paint?? inside them and need a tap run threw to clean the paint out as seen in the center hole. Once the handles are removed you can better select a point to put the hole. I really don't think that placement is all that important as long as it will somewhat balance the rig.
Glad I could help..
Thanks for the photo.
I clearly have no factory holes. It will be another DIY project. The ocean is still frozen here so there is plenty of time. ;-)
/Peter
Wonder if you can figure out a way to make this tripod base from Xit 404 work? Existing hole may line up.
Steve
I haven't done this yet, but after seeing the holes there I was planning on getting three of the Ultralight adapters and putting two facing forward and pointed slightly towards the side and one facing backward, centered... then you can mount the arms onto the balls with the ultralight clamps.... say 3 of the 8 inch arms...
Then you can fold the arms out of the way until you need to use them as a tripod... then just swing them down into position... with the
7D built in level indicator you can get it all level'd the way you want and then start shooting stills or video...
Once I figure out the length of the Ultralight adapters, I'm going to get this idea working... :-)
Here is the base of a D90 housing. The factory holes have some paint?? inside them and need a tap run threw to clean the paint out as seen in the center hole. Once the handles are removed you can better select a point to put the hole. I really don't think that placement is all that important as long as it will somewhat balance the rig.
Glad I could help..
I just spoke to my dive buddie. He has a D90 Ike housing and he has no pre-drilled-pre-threaded holes either!
I wonder if the goods is strong enough to handle the system on a tripod, or if your base plate is not just pre-drilled but also made of another material etc!?
How strong is the Ultralight triple-clamp? An easier way that might work is to put two "Ball with Ikelite Tray Mount" (part N on this page: http://ikelite.com/web_pages/arms.html ) and attach these to two triple-clamps (part AC-CTS at the bottom of this page: http://www.ulcs.com/armclamp.html ) and four arms with a decent length.
With no current this MIGHT work, but I have NO idea if it will...
My D90 Housing is new as of October 2009 that is why I have the threaded holes. Something new that Ikelite started. I would suggest that you drill and tap in the thicker areas for a tripod mount.
How strong is the Ultralight triple-clamp? An easier way that might work is to put two "Ball with Ikelite Tray Mount" (part N on this page: http://ikelite.com/web_pages/arms.html ) and attach these to two triple-clamps (part AC-CTS at the bottom of this page: http://www.ulcs.com/armclamp.html ) and four arms with a decent length.
With no current this MIGHT work, but I have NO idea if it will...
Hmm the idea isn't bad. but my system is quite "buzy" already. I actually already use the N parts for my strobe arms.
I Think you can mount two more n parts on the bottom of the handles.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.