Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Leaking Canon Compact Housings

Started by reefwalker ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Leaking Canon Compact Housings

2 posts
  1. I have had quite a few people bring Canon Compact Housings to me for help over the last couple of years, as they have had small leaks for no apparent reason. These housings have mostly been the G7, G9, G10, G11, A610, A620, A630, A640, A710, A720.

    What I have found on close inspection is that there are 3 or 4 mould release lines (no. of lines depending on the model) in the main ‘o’ ring groove on the door. These ‘lines’ run across the groove and very obviously would stop the ‘o’ ring seating in the groove correctly.

    It seems that most people have leaks in the shallows with their Canon housings. Either on descending or after a deeper dive with no problem, a leak is evident as they ascend into the last 10 meters. This is typical of an ‘o’ ring that has not seated correctly, so that’s why I started looking closer.

    I had one desperate photographer who wanted me to try anything to have their housing fixed. So I promised to find the leak source. It was a Canon G9 housing, I could see the water entering the housing as a very small drip that ran down the ‘O’ Ring until it pooled at the bottom.

    I decided to sand the Mould Release line, as this was exactly where the drip eminated from. I used a piece of very fine wet&dry;sand paper (600 grit), I wrapped a small piece around a small aluminium ruler (about 2mm thick), then gently sanded the mould release line, until it was level with the bottom of the groove.

    I actually did the sanding a step at a time and inspected the progress with a magnifying glass (Actually I used a ReefNet SubSee Magnifier, as it was stronger than a magnifying glass) and progressed until the mould release line was finally non-existent and the ‘O’ Ring groove had a flat bottom, rather than a step at the Mould Release line. It was quite easy to see the problem with a magnifying glass before sanding, and that it was smooth after the sanding. I also sanded the other 3 mould release lines in this particular housing, as they also were raised more than they should be.

    I was so confident that I had fixed the problem, I took the housing with its camera on a dive immediately after fixing it, and it was dry as a bone.... which it hadn’t been for quite a few prior dives. It has since proved to be perfectly sealed and hasn’t leaked on lots of dives since the modification.

    Check-out your own housing if it has these mould release lines, I’d get it fixed pretty soon.

     

    *UPDATE* I have now fixed more Canon Housings and all have been successful. I have also just fixed a G11 housing that leaked on its first dive, it had exactly the same problem. It also explains to me why some housings leak and some don’t. This mould release line is more evident in some housings than others.

    BTW, I also manufacture an electronic Leak Detector for the Canon G7, G9, G10 & now G11 housings for extra peace of mind - see my website at: UWleakdetector.com

     

    Photos & Sketch following so you can see how to do this work yourself.

     

    First Pic shows one end of the door, with Two Lines marked with arrows. The other end of the door also has two lines in the same positions.

    I have found that the one shown here on the Left is the one that causes most leaks, but its easy to fix all 4 while you have the sand paper out !

     

    Mould-Release-Lines.jpg

     

    Second Pic shows a close-up of the Left Hand “Mould Release Line”. When it is sanded this line is no longer visible, and you can’t feel it when a toothpick is run along the groove. I have now heard from around 15 people that I did this modification too their housings, and all have done plenty of dives with absolutely NO LEAKS.

    P.S. Please don’t ask me if I can fix your housing “Mould Release Lines”, it is so very easy to do yourself.

     

    Mould-Release-Line-Close-Up.jpg

     

    Following is a sketch to show you the details on how to do the work:

     

    Canon-O-Ring-Fault-Line-Fix.JPG

  2. Interesting. I run a dive shop and use several compacts/housings, currently a G10, G11, two S500s, and two Casio EX-Z55s. All in the manufacturers' housings. The one I use most myself is the G10. I am paranoid about leaks as I have had several cameras flooded by guests "experimenting", but the only one of these housing that has ever given me any cause for concern was one of the S500s, and that was cured by removing the O-ring and lightly greasing it. The other O-rings I never remove, but occasionally grease in situ.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.