Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17+1.4 tele vs. Sigma 17-70mm???

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17+1.4 tele vs. Sigma 17-70mm???

6 posts
  1. So leaving for a trip and while weight is always an issue wondering what those of you that have played with combination of the Tokina 10-17 with a teleconverter think about it for fish portraits and the like vs. the Sigma 17-70??? (I have a Nikon D200) I like the Sigma but willing to take a chance on the Tokina combo in hopes of getting something a little different. Anybody with examples of there attempts?

  2. So leaving for a trip and while weight is always an issue wondering what those of you that have played with combination of the Tokina 10-17 with a teleconverter think about it for fish portraits and the like vs. the Sigma 17-70??? (I have a Nikon D200) I like the Sigma but willing to take a chance on the Tokina combo in hopes of getting something a little different. Anybody with examples of there attempts?

     

    Hi NWDiver,

     

    I just posted a couple of pictures that may interest you on the DIY forum, under cfwa mini dome and I have many more examples to explore the possibilities.

    Barry

  3. Thanks for the link, looks like it is worth a try. I like the new dome but will attempt it with my Aquatica 6" dome. Wow the 10-17mm might not come off the camera this trip might have to think about buying a back-up, lol.

  4. Here's a couple from my first attempt with the 10-17 plus 1.4X teleconverter behind an 8" dome:

     

    732977321_33Viz-M.jpg

     

    732977340_wyCqS-M.jpg

     

    And here's some taken with the Zen 4" dome:

     

    772036403_aroyf-M.jpg

     

    772036303_uHDCu-M.jpg

     

    775296710_LUhsn-M.jpg

    (soft coral in foreground is only 75mm high, the one is the background is around 900 high)

     

    772036379_4GpFo-M.jpg

  5. Great stuff, gives me hope.

  6. Great shots Gudge!

     

    I am new on the Forum and now contemplating between the tokina 10-17mm and the Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical

     

    I hear good stories about the 10-17 underwater and that it is crap above the waterline. It is also very fisheye on land.

    Now the tamron 10-24 keeps all the lines straight and has had a good review on http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron...24_3p5-5p6_n15/

    but that means nothing underwater.

     

    Does anyone have experiece with the Tamron SP AF 10-24mm???

     

    looking forward to your thoughts

     

    Cheers,

     

    Frits

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.